Pages

Saturday, 22 August 2026

FEATURE: The Watch I Will Never Sell (Part 2)



Welcome to the second part of this interesting two part series, it's always nice to read about other people's watch experiences, especially when they are so personal and meaningful. Thank you to everyone who took the time to contribute, it is, as always, much appreciated. 

Aqua-G / Rob



I’m going to have to pick two watches sorry, the first is my McQueen Monaco, I wanted a Monaco from the time I first saw the square watch in a jewellers window, I tried on a few times, if memory serves it was black faced version, and then later whilst trying on a McQueen in a local dealer they offered me a deal that was very good, I slipped out and called my friendly AD who had a cancelled order sitting and beat the offered price by a lot, deal done over the phone. That was two of my must haves scored, the watch and my Honda S2000, both still in my possession now.


The second is my Disney Tigger watch, my daughter bought it for me on a trip with friends to Euro Disney, first thing she bought me solely by herself without help from mum or granny, it wasn’t for a special occasion just a “love you dad” moment, I’ll treasure that forever.

Pitfitter446



I was a little surprised to be asked if I had a watch I'd never sell. After all, watches are just a material possession, even if they can sometimes speak to your soul. I mean, if it came down to to a choice between keeping the watch or keeping the wife, the watch would definitely be the one to go; in no small part because the watch would not hunt me down mercilessly afterward.😉


So, to slightly rephrase the question, the last watch I would sell is my CBN2016.EB0275 Carrera RS 2.7. It's not so much the rather tenuous link to a 50-year-old limited-production sports car. It's more the white dial, silver subdials and markers and the blue trim just reach out to me in a way I'm finding surprisingly hard to put into words. The watch just seems open and optimistic, and a ready companion. Although, I'm still trying to find the right strap for it -- I really like the fabric strap that came with the watch, but the NATO configuration just adds too much to the overall thickness.


I asked my wife the same question, since she has a nice (and growing) watch collection. Without hesitation, she said her WBC1392.BH0744 ceramic Link, I think in part because of how hard it was for me to find one for her, after she fell in love with it just from an online picture. After a moment's pause, she added that her WV2212.FC6302 would be second on that list. This is another one she fell in love with just from a picture, and she loves the diamonds that run down the lugs through each side of the bezel (later ones with diamonds around the bezel and none on the lugs just look bland and all-too-common in comparison).

BillC3



Me needs to think about this because I have multiple I would never sell. Or do I? When push comes to shove (weird expression Murican tv taught me) I suppose I would sell any of em. Except......


The mighty ice diver! I have always been a die hard fan of the Aquaracer and this one means so much to me. It is my whole watch collecting journey summarised in one perfect daily watch that looks amazing in any situation. From a financial perspective it also makes sense to always keep because the lovely shitter Sellita is cheap to service.


I must say though also that since May 2025 when I got my Monaco Monaco Monaco Monaco Monaco Monaco Monaco Monaco Monaco, it has become my favourite watch. So unique in its character, mega thick crystal and overall absolute sexiness. I will never sell it unless life puts me in a financially shitty place where I need the cash. Then I would keep only the ice diver as my one and only watch, makes sense since the Monaco could get me more cash and costs more to service and maintain long term.


For years I dreamt of the douchebag too. I will never sell this one because it is such a sexy, in your face, fÏ…ck all of you, kind of watch. I love touching it.

Jim Dollare$



Most of my watches I would never sell. So the better question would be: If you could only keep one watch, which one would it be?


While the Carrera 60th Anniversary Ref. CBK221H is "Carrera peak";


I think I would save the Jack Heuer 80th Birthday Ref. CV2119, as this was the one that made me a collector.

Hubert



When Rob asked me to take part in this series of articles, I found the question interesting, but also very difficult to answer: choose just one of my watches?


To begin with, I have no intention of selling any of my TAG Heuer watches (I might sell one of my other watches, as I hardly ever wear them), but in the hypothetical case that I had to sell them because of another priority, there would be two, not one, that I would never sell. Luckily, some of the previous participants had already mentioned two watches as unsellable, so that precedent made my choice easier.


The fact is, I would never sell two watches that, for me, have far more sentimental than monetary value, and both are related to someone I have always admired as a person and as a racing driver: Ayrton Senna. Having seen him wear a TAG Heuer S/el with a leather strap for many years, I decided to buy one in 1996 (since I didn't have the budget before) at a TAG Heuer AD in Barcelona near my work. While it wasn't the exact model Ayrton usually wore, it was my absolute favourite S/el because of the dial and strap colour combination: the CG1110.BC0429. After 30 years with me, I could never sell it, and its current value wouldn't make me rich either…


The other watch I would never sell is the TAG Heuer 6000 Senna (WH1114.FC6030), the first “Senna edition” watch, and the only one Ayrton authorized and participated in the design of. It was launched a few months after Ayrton's fatal accident at Imola, in a limited series of 1,000 units, and it sold out quickly. Its high price also wouldn't have allowed me to buy it at launch. But I always longed to own it; it was undoubtedly the watch I most wanted… so, when exactly 25 years later, in 2019 I found a brand new one in an Australian jewellery store, I didn't hesitate. And that's why I couldn't sell it either.

Albert AMG



While I have a few special/sentimental watches, I will highlight this one. A couple of decades ago (plus a few years), I had mentioned my desire for a TAG Heuer several times to my wife as well as that I had nearly bought one before we met. Approximately eighteen months following our wedding, we were on vacation in the Caribbean and the resort at which we stayed had some TAG Heuers. I walked past them everyday, looking in the window, but never inquiring or going beyond the front window. 


She knew I was admiring them on a daily basis while there. One month later, approaching our second Christmas as a married couple, she surprised me early with this watch that she purchased once we returned from our trip. I was thrilled to receive it, and to this day I wear it with pride and gratefulness. Not that I need a reminder, but it does remind me every time it’s on my wrist that I have an amazing wife.

Jemagloh



Well I was dreading having to choose just one watch from my collection, but since half the people who've taken part have chosen two, then I guess that means I can too. That makes it a lot easier, honestly, because while there are lots of watches I wouldn't want to sell, there are two that have a particular importance to me that would make them very difficult to let go.


First would have to be the first (genuine) TAG Heuer that I ever bought, my beloved and still pretty mint F1 Kirium. When I very first got into watches (around 2004) I decided I wanted a TAG Heuer and sold all sorts of things I owned to scrape the money together. But even then the one I wanted was a stretch as it cost about £1850 (a lot of money back then, almost three times the price of the 2000 Series I bought my wife the following year!). 

I can't believe I actually did this, but I bought it online from a grey-market dealer called A1 Watches. Incredibly foolish, but thankfully with that movement it wasn't ever going to be fake (and fakes just weren't as good back then anyway). Besides I broke the crown off the day I got it and had to send it to TAG Heuer under warranty, so no worries there, hahaha.


The other watch I would really struggle to sell is my Heuer 01. This was my first 'major' purchase, costing me £3200 (again grey market from 'Iconic Watches' in Bolton) and is still one of the most expensive watches I have owned. It's probably one of my least worn watches, I have hardly ever worn it to work and really only usually wear it when I go out somewhere.

I don't know why I never wear it to work, I quite happily wear my Carrera Dato 160 and my Grand Carrera Caliper to the office, but for some reason not that one. I guess it doesn't help that it has a white rubber strap on it now, which makes it rather obnoxious. 🤣

Push comes to shove, the Kirium is worth about a quarter of what I paid for it now so if I really had to sell one or the other it would probably have to be the Carrera. At least there's plenty out there and I could buy another one when funds allowed. That's also true of the Kirium I suppose, gah, I don't know! 

In the words of Combichrist (or perhaps more famously Charlton Heston) 'From my cold dead hands!'

Aqua-G / Rob



No comments:

Post a Comment