Thursday 20 February 2020

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Chronograph

CV2013.FC6234

TAG Heuer Outlet / Bicester Village, 19th September 2019

As 'Bdev' rightly pointed out in the comments section under my post about the new brown Aquaracer the other day, one brown dial piece I kinda forgot to include was the CV2013 Carrera Calibre 16. I say 'kinda' because I didn't actually forget about the watch, I just forgot to include it in the post... and in fact I've been sitting on a post about the CV2013 since I tried it on last September.

Okay, to be honest, I have tried to complete this post several times, but there has always been something more interesting to talk about and so it's kinda been left behind. As such this watch has long since departed the store, so while I can tell you the price it was then (£2555, down from £3650) there's no guarantee that if it comes back into stock it will be the same price. In fact, I would expect a price hike of around £50-80 given recent movement in the stock. 


Long term readers will know that I haven't always been kind to 'brown' watches, or perhaps more accurately watches that come on brown straps... but over the last couple of years my stance has definitely softened. I think the black PVD Carrera with the 'sand' coloured numerals (which came on a weathered brown leather strap) was the catalyst for change and, well, I turned 50 last October so I'm getting to that age where brown straps start to make more sense... :)

This one certainly has some character, pairing a brown dial and aluminum bezel insert with some orange highlights for that full on 70s effect, and while it's not something I would buy, I did quite like that it was a Carrera but one with a whole different aura about it. Like, I'm not a fan of the Omega Speedmaster, but when you see it in an unusual colour, say with a white or blue dial, it looks a whole lot more interesting somehow.


I think with the brown bezel this is a whole lot less subtle than the new Aquaracer and less likely to be mistaken for a black dial watch. If you're the sort of person who wears natural colours and say light blue jeans this would probably work well for you, but if you're like me and tend towards black and dark blue, well this probably isn't for you... unless you wear brown shoes with black clothes, in which case you're clearly a 'maverick' and there's no point in even trying to reason with you!

On the wrist it's your regular 41mm Calibre 16 Carrera; so it's probably a little thicker than you'd really like, but not so bad that you'd write it off altogether. I'd be interested to see one of these on the optional BA0794 bracelet as that might be more appealing to me, as it is there's a little too much brown going on here for me... but I'm willing to bet that whoever bought this one is more than happy with their purchase.

If you are interested in this watch, the store may be able to help you, give them a ring on 01869 249008.

No comments:

Post a Comment