Thursday 2 May 2019

OWNED: TAG Heuer 2000 Exclusive Two-Tone Quartz Watch

WN1153.BD0341

If the last eighteen months has taught me anything, it's that you never really know how you're going to feel about owning a particular watch until you've owned it for a while. A quick try on in a shop is all well and good, and it might weed out the absolute non-starters, but I've bought watches I thought I loved and watches I wasn't 100% sure about and it's gone both ways for both types.

My orange and black Calibre 16 Formula 1 (CAU2012) was a watch I chased down for years, but when I got it I found I really didn't like it half as much as I thought I would. On the other hand this WN1153 was something I saw in a pawn shop window, tried it on, passed on it, bought a newer 'Aquaracer' version, didn't like it, sent it back, went back to the pawn shop weeks later and found that not only was it still there, but it was on sale with about 30% knocked off the price. I guess that didn't hurt and got my relationship with the WN1153 off to a good start!


The WN1153 was my first two-tone piece, and I think that's why I bought it even though I wasn't 100% sure about it. I wanted to widen my collection a little bit and I really liked that the gold was a bit less yellow than on the Aquaracer I tried, and also the bracelet is a lot more subtle than most with the gold inserts only featured on the smaller, alternate centre links. I really don't like two-tone watches that have a solid band of gold down the middle of the bracelet - well, that's not strictly true because my 3000 Series has exactly that, but as a rule that comment stands.

I have to say that the 2000 Executive has been a revelation, despite it being a little on the small side at 37mm, I really enjoy wearing this one and in fact I've been wearing it the past few days, it always surprises me how good the lume is on it, I mean I know it's a essentially a dive watch, but when they have gold inserts you don't really expect it so much somehow. Actually, with a two-tone watch I think the fact that it's smaller works in it's favour, it looks a little bit more classy to be a touch smaller on the wrist, I can't imagine wearing a modern 42mm Aquaracer with a gold bezel, I think it would be way too much for me.


Admittedly, the 2000 Exclusive is a watch that doesn't look amazing from every single angle, but when the light catches it just right (for example when driving) it looks absolutely terrific, especially the bezel. Being small in diameter it does give the appearance of being quite 'chunky' but it's not a thick watch at all. You can definitely see the 2000 DNA that it shares with the Aquagraph, although thankfully they never committed the sin of blinging out that particular model, that would have been quite shameful in my eyes!

There's really very little to dislike about this watch, the bracelet is great, the watch is comfortable and keeps excellent time, sure maybe the numeral font isn't going to be to everyone's taste, but I like it, especially in the gold. Since I bought this model I also purchased a black dial chronograph version, and it's one that I haven't quite bonded with as yet. It's in great condition, but the dial looks a bit less appealing somehow. It didn't help of course that I had to send it back to Watchfinder because the top pusher on the chrono was faulty. They fixed it within a week or so and I haven't got any complaints about their after-sales service, but it got us off on the wrong foot. That said, I'm quite open to the idea of adding another three hander to the collection, maybe a blue dial or a tapisserie dial if one pops up at the right price. Not sure I would bother with an automatic, but never say never.


This watch, and two-tone watches in general, aren't going to be everybody's cup of tea... and I was somewhat sceptical myself, but having owned three now, I find they are pretty cool to wear. I wish the gold on this one didn't scratch and attract finger marks so easily, but that's the nature of the material unfortunately (not so bad on my other two two-tone pieces, probably because they don't have such flat and high-gloss bezels as this one). I definitely have no regrets over buying this one and I think the enjoyment / cost ratio on this piece is very positive. I did see a two-tone chrono in an auction a while back, and I was kind of tempted to bid for it, but I'm glad I didn't. I don't think I would have wanted to part with this one even if I'd won it, which is probably telling.

Yeah, that's it really, nothing bad to say. Doubtless some will find the watch a little tasteless, but I really enjoy wearing it and I really don't care if it's a bit blingy. Honestly, for what I paid (less than £500) I'd be hard pressed to think of another watch that offers the same bang for buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment