Sunday 21 July 2019

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer 2000 Series WK2115 Automatic Watch

WK2115

This is an unusual one, and one that's very difficult to obtain any information on. Going through the very few pages I can find, one seller claims it is limited to 500 pieces, but the back plate doesn't confirm this. The watch is automatic (containing an ETA 2824-2), which explains the silver TAG Heuer logo on the dial (back in the day quartz watches usually had the red/green logo, although that got a bit confused later on), just as well really as the green of the logo would probably have clashed with that green centre dial!


I've managed to find three sellers offering this model currently, albeit one has been listed for three years so I'm not sure if it is still 'active', but judging by the asking price of $1200 I'm guessing it won't have sold. The other two sellers are asking more reasonable prices (£400-500) and both are based in Japan (not sure where the first seller is based) which leads me to believe that this was a Japan only release (note the Japanese characters on the instruction booklet), although any more information than that I have been unable to source.


It would be interesting to know more about this one, especially that unusual dial. Is it supposed to represent something specific? We've seen green dial Japan editions before (like the 'Men's Club' Monaco), the colour green in Japan is supposed to represent fertility and growth, so a very 'positive' colour; on the other hand black is a colour of 'formality', so... does that mean anything at all or is just a complete red herring?


To be honest I can't decide if I genuinely like it, or I just like it because it's unusual and strange... I think it may be just the oddness of it that appeals. I think in truth I'd take a nice blue dial quartz over this for the same money, although obviously from a collectors point of view I would love to own this.

On the whole it seems that the 2000 Series watches hold their money surprisingly well, especially considering how many there are when compared to some less 'popular' models like the 3000 and 4000s, all of which makes this hard to price. I think $1200 is too much, but then £4-500 seems relatively cheap considering it's an automatic and it's limited, and it's this unusual. But then again, is it a 'good' kind of unusual? I'm not 100% sure...

WK2112

WK2113

Since I wrote this post I've discovered that this watch was also available in a green/red and red/green dial variations. Very little detail about them, but I assume they were both limited editions as well, possibly for a different country or maybe also Japan.

2 comments:

  1. These are infact limited edition of 500pcs to each variation of colour combination and among those 500pcs on each colour variation which are also included Mens, Ladies and Mid size respectively.
    They are limited for sale to Asia area only which included Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong.
    I have a newspaper cliping on the the release of these watches at the time.

    ReplyDelete