Wednesday 4 December 2019

NOT BUYING EXERIENCE: TAG Heuer Stopwatch Catalogue


I found this catalogue on eBay a couple of days ago, when the bidding was right down at £5. Stopwatches aren't really my thing, but it still looked like a nice piece of TAG Heuer memorabilia so I watched with an eye to picking it up if it could be had for a sensible price. Unfortunately the auction finished at 8:20PM when I was due to be out with friends so I had to leave a bid about an hour before hand.


The catalogue had already risen to £8.50 when I came to make my bid, and I tentatively entered a figure just above £16. This immediately raised the price to about £18 and I made one final bid of £21, which again merely resulted in pushing the price of the catalogue up.


To be honest I'm not sure I wanted to pay £21 for a stopwatch catalogue, especially with quite a few other items in my watch list... so I wasn't too unhappy and I went out and completely forgot about it until I got home later. It was only then that I realised just how hopelessly hopeful my bids had been...


You may remember a similar situation occurred a few months ago when a 1988 TAG Heuer catalogue appeared on eBay and I couldn't be there to bid on it, that one was really nice and went for over £40 if I remember correctly. I was really disappointed that I missed out on that one and deeply regretted not leaving a higher bid.


So I was rather shocked when I got home to find that the stopwatch catalogue had achieved more than double the price of that very desirable item! £87 it went for... would you believe it?


Just as well I hadn't set my heart on it I guess, I'm just kinda surprised that it made quite that much (or even close to that if I'm honest)... but still I guess like that 1988 catalogue I tried to secure before, these don't come up very often so you have to bid hard when they do. Certainly a lesson learned for me for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment