Monday 16 December 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Chronograph

CV2A83.FC6393

TAG Heuer Outlet / Bicester Village, 9th December 2019

Super surprised to find this lovely Calibre 16 Carrera in the Bicester Village, not least because this is another watch that I don't think I've ever come across before. I was always a fan of the older CV2A81 Calibre 16 Chrono, but found it incredibly annoying that while the mirror finished hands and Arabic numerals looked great when the light hit them, for an unacceptable majority of the time they were rendered completely unreadable by the fact that they reflected black and thus to all intents and purposes disappeared into the dial. Thankfully, with the CV2A83 they've solved this problem by painting both the hands and numerals white, which not only looks fantastic, but also makes this one of the most legible Calibre 16 Carreras ever produced!

You may remember TAG Heuer released a version of this watch with sand coloured markings and a brown leather strap a couple of years ago, I also liked that one and have seen it many a time, but this one seems very elusive. Indeed, the internet cannot provide me with one single photograph, save for the standard render above which I got from the US website, where it is still on sale*. Again, I don't really know why this is in the outlet, it seems like a current model... maybe it was used in a photoshoot or something, but if it is then where are the photos? 

*Could it be that this was never for sale in the UK? That would certainly explain why I've never come across it and unlike the US website the UK website denies all knowledge of this catalogue number... I've just noticed this one isn't even on my GALLERY BLOG!

Photo courtesy of Tom McNamara @ Bicester Village

This one is 43mm but it wears smaller, probably because the case is black PVD coated, which often makes a watch look a little more diminutive than it really is. It really is a lovely piece and if it weren't for the fact that I already have a CV2A80 Carrera which is quite similar really... then I would probably be appraising my credit card statements for a potential purchase! Honestly, even with that one already in the stable I'd still like this one in my watch box too... if money were no object.

The CV2A83 has a titanium case and deployment clasp with sandblasted PVD coating; sapphire crystals front and back; a sandblasted steel and ceramic bezel; a black alligator strap with customary red stitching and of course the ubiquitous Calibre 16 movement, here presented in day/date format and offering a respectable 42hr power reserve. 

Pricing for this absolutely gorgeous Carrera is £4295 list, down to £2975 at Bicester Village. As ever, there may only be one piece available so please ring the store to check stock before travelling; 01869 249008 (what do you know, I've memorised that number now...). 

No comments:

Post a Comment