Thursday 29 April 2021

FEATURE: Watches & Wonders 2021 (Part 2: Rolex, Patek Philippe and TAG Heuer)


Continuing our somewhat 'irreverent' look at this years 'Watches and Wonders' watch fair. For Part One, please click the link below:



ROB: Testing, testing... is this thing on? 

JIM: Yes! So when are we going to talk about this whole Watches & Wonders flop? Lets start off with two simple questions that might not be so easy to answer. At this point we are two days into this online fair and I would like to know, first of all what is Watches & Wonders and secondly, how do I attend the show? All I have seen is a flood of press releases in social media and some watch sites and after two days I still have not figured out how to attend the show or what this digital fair actually is.

ROB: Umm, well I guess... this is a 'fair' but only in the sense of creating an 'event' for the press to get behind. I guess you attend the 'show' by visiting the brand's websites at the appropriate time - like I assume the other brands had countdowns like TH did. I suppose the idea is that they can start to create a 'brand' and then roll it out properly once the pandemic is over and people can travel, but yeah I agree it's not really anything more than a somewhat co-ordinated mess at this point, and it seems like everyone was releasing at once whereas it might have been smarter to to stagger the releases more over the days - starting with Rolex, I would say and then maybe let that die down a bit before everyone else got their moment. I don't know... how many brands are involved?

JIM: I think there are something like 40 brands participating. I've seen comments on Youtube and Instagram where many are confused about the whole setup. I think you are right that each brand communicates directly with their own releases but could Watches & Wonders at least have provided a schedule on their website so people can know when each brand will present their stuff? I do wonder how beneficial this really is for many of these manufacturers. Wouldn't it be better for a company like Oris to do their own press release in calmer times when no one else is releasing things? I think that would generate more attention and marketing for Oris, now they just become a quick note in the feed of constant press releases.

ROB: Well that was always true of Baselworld wasn't it? The doors open and everyone ran straight past every other booth to get to the Rolex stand.... 'Oh my God what have Rolex released' (usually not much) and then they go to Omega and then Patek and AP and eventually TAG Heuer, meanwhile Oris are sitting their kicking their heels waiting patiently for their turn....

JIM: Yes I know, I just thought they would be smarter now when they do it digitally and enable for more brands to reach a gigantic audience in a completely different way. But counting on the Swiss to be smart and think outside the box is probably not realistic. Maybe in 10 years they will have adopted to a good online format?

ROB: Ha, yes.... okay, let's begin!


 
ROB: Aha, now this is what I really miss about Baselworld, the Rolex fanboys having a meltdown because 'The Crown' does something they don't like! Hilarious... 

JIM: I listened to the new Hodinkee radio episode about Rolex and Tudor. Seriously, Rolex creates zero emotion in my heart. I could see myself happily rocking that two tone Explorer 36 though. It would match my sleazy personality perfectly!

ROB: Plus it's 36mm again so it won't look too manly on your girly wrist... Hehe, this model is not popular with the Rolex fanboys because.... 'when I'm potholing the last thing I need is a soft metal on my bezel...' yeah because you are going to wear your two tone Explorer potholing.

JIM: Hodinkee snobs said something like "Rolex is forcing us to buy precious metals. You know the steel is unobtainable and the two tone is not much more expensive. People have no choice but to buy two tone". They are so deep into the Rolex 'hype-obsession' that its ridiculous! I agree with you that the two tone Explorer is excellent but probably for different reasons. I don't like it cause it pisses Rolex fanboys off, I like it cause I'm generally a sucker for two tone and I think Rolex is a manufacturer that does two tone very well. This 36 mm two tone Explorer is a perfect "classy older but not old gentleman in his best years" kind of watch. Would go perfect with a nice Mercedes with plenty of yummy wooden interior.


ROB: Patek are hilarious, they announce the death of the 5711 (because they are don't want it to become their 'Royal Oak') then announce a green dial which will only be made for one year... and I wonder, if you were already on the waiting list for the blue (which you won't now be getting) do you get a shot at the green one? I very much doubt it, these will be for special customers only!

JIM: Hehe yes! They just keep ass-raping their customers and the customers react by wanting to pay more! Is it a sort of Stockholm syndrome for rich watch snobs?

ROB: Must be.... I still don't really get why the Nautilus is so popular. It's an odd shape, it's got that nasty lump on the left hand side. Why does it trade over list? Why do so many people want it? I don't get it. Is it just because it's a Patek and it's a sports watch? Is it just the Submariner for people who find Rolex a bit gauche?

JIM: I think its a mix of things. Its a Patek for people who aren't really "Patek people". When I think about Patek Philippe I imagine sophisticated people with class. The Nautilus is an exception, with that one I am thinking about either fake rich Instagram posers who got a bigger mortgage to afford buying one or new money people with zero class who just want it cause its hard to get and expensive. Hodinkee probably helped both these groups of people grow into the scale we see today.

ROB: I saw a video yesterday where Eric (Watch Eric) said confidently that these will trade over $200,000... I don't know what the list price is, but I'm guessing nowhere near that. Crazy!


ROB: So, finally.... I've already posted my thoughts on the Aquaracer - at the time of launch I had very mixed feelings about the new models, but you seemed a lot more upbeat, yes?

JIM: If 'upbeat' means negative then yes, I am very upbeat. No, but I think I'm just like you, mixed feelings and sometimes I think I like it and sometimes I hate it. But one thing I'm still certain about.. the old generation is so much better in every way! My main concern with the new one is that they didn't fix the movement. At least they could've gone for a COSC version of the Sellita. And I want someone to confirm that the crown tube has been improved!

ROB: What about the six o clock bubble? I've seen quite a few negative comments on YouTube about the new look...

JIM: Oh yes I really hate that one. But I don't waste too much energy on it since I've heard rumours about an upcoming 40mm version which probably wont have any cyclops. Otherwise I think I would've bashed it a lot more!

ROB: What about the 'Tribute to 844', did that creamy fauxtina got you a little hot under the collar?

JIM: Yes yes, you know me too well. The 844 tribute is really nice, I wouldn't mind rocking that bad boy! And of course you said in your review that this was the best Aquaracer ever!

ROB: I really did NOT! I said it was the best looking of the eight new 2021 Aquaracers, hardly the same thing!

JIM: Stop putting your words in my mouth, I am certain this is your all time favorite Aquaracer

ROB: Well, it isn't... I think the jury is still very much 'out' on this new Aquaracer, I just hope that when we finally get to see it in the stores it confounds expectations; maybe we just have to get used to it? I mean the older we get the harder it is to accept change, especially if the thing that's changing was aesthetically pleasing before. Like... Meg Ryan for instance.

JIM: Who? 

ROB: Nevermind.... before your time.


Well that concludes our look at the inaugural Watches and Wonders... let's hope next year it can be a proper fair that people can visit and report from. I guess we'll have to wait and see... same time next year (presumably).

No comments:

Post a Comment