Thursday 8 July 2021

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Monaco Heuer 02 Carbon Watch Piece Unique for Only Watch

CBL2191.FC6507

Hot on the heels of the pink dial Aquaracer I posted about the other day comes this very interesting Monaco made as a piece unique for auction at the 2021 'Only Watch' event. Only Watch has been around for a while now and takes places every other year (raising money for research into Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy) and is something which TAG Heuer has contributed to previously with Monaco based watches in 2009 and 2011 and a luxurious 'Connected Tourbillon' box set in 2017.

They really went for it this time though with this carbon Monaco... which not only features a new carbon case (modified to take a larger display caseback) and skeletonised carbon dial components, but also utilises the carbon hairspring previously found in the Nanograph and the first wave of TAG Heuer Autavia watches, before they were recalled and replaced with standard steel springs. I feel like we will never be able to talk about the carbon hairspring without bringing that up, which I'm sure TAG Heuer really appreciate...


The watch is pretty amazing to look at from every angle, with the forged carbon case giving a similar 'marble' effect to the previous Bamford carbon Monaco Limited Edition, but to me this one is so much nicer. The skeletonised dial really sets this piece apart and the orange highlights really pop against the black carbon and (it must be said) can't fail to bring to mind the much sought after 'Dark Lord' Monaco from the 1970s.

On the reverse the watch is equally entrancing, with a 'chequered flag' finish applied to the bridges and plates, along with a unique rotor with a hand painted flash of colour all visible behind a very large display back crystal. And then there's the strap...


When I first saw this strap I thought it was a tragedy that this amazing watch had been saddled with such a terrible strap. But the more I look at it the more it is growing on me. I'm still not sure I like the concept - making a leather strap look like a bracelet, but given how much effort TAG Heuer have put into making this a truly unique watch, I appreciate that they've even gone all out on the strap and provided something truly out there. I do hope this won't end up becoming available on the normal Monaco though, I really think they should keep it as a truly special creation for this watch and this watch only.  

If you fancy making a bid for this incredible looking watch, you will most likely need somewhere between $50,000 - $100,000 (which I can assure you is well outside my price bracket) and maybe even more. You do have a few months to save up though as the auction is not being held until November... I think this one could attract some serious interest as it is definitely one of the best looking watches in the auction. Let's hope it goes way over the $100,000 top estimate and generates lots of income for a worthy cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment