Saturday 4 December 2021

INTERVIEW: Kappa MD (Calibre 11 Forum Member)


Today we welcome a new face to the TAG Heuer Enthusiast blog, but one familiar to the members of the Calibre 11 forum... 

Hi there! First of all, I'd like to thank sir Rob for this interview and for allowing me to share my passion for watches, especially motorsport watches and more specifically TAG Heuer! My love for watches actually stemmed from my love of motorsports first and thus led me to the only brand which is synonymous with motorsports --> Heuer / TAG Heuer!

My name is John Paul but my friends call me JP or Doc Jaypes. I'm a 38 years old physician from Manila Philippines. As I have mentioned, I'm a doctor and I specialize in Urologic Surgery / Urology. I've used 'kappa_md' in both car and watch fora alike ever since I joined discussions (proud member of PHI KAPPA MU Medical Fraternity)


Well we're very pleased to have you J.P. and thank you for taking the time to do this interview. So let's start with a very obvious first question, how did you get interested in watches?

Growin up, I used to own different watches before like Timex, Guess (?), Nike, Casio, G-Shocks, Technomarines etc. but they were either gifts to me, purchases I made for time/fit purposes or something that really is part of a casual get-up. They were not really part of any collection that I have. They were nice for their purpose and I wasn't serious yet in watches in general. Most of these are already given to family members or life has come to an end. The only watches I have right now are TAG Heuer.



Let's talk about your collection, I think perhaps you are a 'Heuer' man at heart...

I think I'm really a TAG Heuer person ;) The first watch that made an impression on me is the TAG Heuer Formula 1 (those that you collect so fondly :)) I remember my older cousins used to wear those with all the cool and colorful bezels and straps. Back then, It was also my first recollection of watching Formula 1. When I was just a kid, I was told these were a bit expensive (compared to the run-of-the-mill watches) and also "SWISS MADE" This was the first time I heard about Swiss Watches other than the RADO my mom and dad had (his and hers) So to me, the coolest and most coveted watch to have was always TAG Heuer. 

A good friend/classmate of mine also had a TAG Heuer Professional 2000 and it was the watch that he will always wear during soirees, social gatherings/parties and to me, it was very much the inspiration of my watch to have ;) I had to save up a lot to purchase my first TAG Heuer. I wanted the Professional 2000 that much but wanted to get the more updated version. I wanted it to be a "Chronograph" since this is almost like a trademark for TAG Heuer and wanted it to be "Automatic" since this will be a very special watch for me. Thus at the start of 2010 I jumped into getting the TH Aquaracer (CAF2110) Calibre 16, my first proper watch. It perfectly coincides with the start of my specialty training also. From this watch alone I knew how durable and reliable a TAG Heuer watch can be and solidified my journey and love affair for TAG Heuer.

Since my TH Aquaracer was so special to me, I didn't want to use it everyday and wanted to use it only for "special" events and occasions. Midway 2010, I bought my second TAG Heuer, and used my first ever paycheck, and bought myself a TH Formula 1 Grande Date (CAH1011)! This design reflects the Kimi Raikkonen LE but in a silver dial. The subdials looked very much like dashboard counters which perfectly matched my other passion which is motorsports. This was my weekday watch and has gained a great impression in me. My all time favorite F1 Champion is Kimi and we share the same lucky number 7. Next would be Senna (TAG Heuer & Honda) and Alonso (Toyota) thus my two other Formula1 are watches closely linked to them both. (BTW, I also collect Oakley Shades and both Kimi and Fernando were also ambassadors to both TAG Heuer and Oakley at the peak of their Carrera /career)

My third TAG Heuer is my first Carrera, a wedding gift by my wife, the first also in a leather strap. It is a chronograph-dress watch to me, the TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 43mm (CAR2014) Such as nice and elegant watch and such a great movement. Both Hamilton and Di Caprio wore this watch in formal events.

As of now, I have 24 TAG Heuer Chronographs, (split of 12 TAG Heuer and 12 Heuer) One for every hour, but to me they are all TAG Heuers.



Until you pointed out that all your watches were chronos I hadn't actually noticed. That's a really unusual collection to own, most people tend to want a 'dive watch' and a this and a that. Was that something that you consciously decided or was it just something that organically happened? Do you think you will add non-chronos in the future or is your course set now?

It is my passion and affirmation for chronographs that also propelled me into this collection. The multi-faceted dimensions of TIME. And to me, chronographs are a physical representation of it. Thus my avatar😎. I actually consider all three of my TAG Heuer Aquaracers Chronos as my “Dive Watch” since they’re meant to be used underwater (though I barely put them into water). Although I know strictly speaking that Dive watches must be 3 hands. I’m very happy with all of them and if you will also notice that part of the collection is having different Calibres / movements: Calibre S, 16 and 72. Of the 24 TAG Heuer’s I have, I only have 1 Calibre16 which is the most ubiquitous movement and my first TAG Heuer! I have a fancy of giving importance also to different watch chrono movements which is I believe, a hallmark of what TAG Heuer is known for, a pioneer/inventor & chronograph watchmaker ;)

Looking into the collection, I have the following: Calibre S, 5, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18, 36, 72, 1887/Heuer01, Heuer02 in single, double, triple subdials and 3x chrono quartz movement.

Actually I do have ONE non-chrono, which is the TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre Drive Timer 5! I somehow consider it a chrono because of the unique rotating bezel where you can measure your time simultaneously with the present time.



It's really nice to talk to someone who also has a crazy number of watches... I'm intrigued to know - do you wear them all or are some just for the 'collection'. Do you wear one for a week or do you flip them everyday? How do you decide, or is it just what takes your fancy at any given moment?

I wear my watches in rotation but admittedly some more than the others. I plan to keep them all and hopefully pass on to my family :) (with a strict rule not to sell them) This reaffirms my philosophy that watches no matter how expensive or cheap, rare or common, delicate or not, all of them have a significant value and history that is unique to the collection and adds more value as a whole. Whole is greater than the sum of its parts right? Your collection is a story of yourself. I know others who just collect expensive watches with high resale values, but do each of them have a special meaning to the collector? Or just watch 'jewelry' that is easily convertible to cash? The watch collection must always speak of the character and value of the collector and the highlight must be with the person and not just the watches. My TAG Heuer collection is a reflection of my loyalty and passion to TH, fun of driving, speed and time with emphasis to motorsport history and watch technical achievements. Also a nod to persons I’ve admired the most like Jack Heuer, Senna, McQueen, Kimi & Fernando. I’ve always believe in the slogans and mottos of TAG Heuer and no other brand can boast IMHO of being true to their “Avant Garde” slogan. 

The pandemic has hindered much of my watch rotation to be honest since I wore mostly PPEs in the clinics / hospitals so recently I usually just grabbed the Drive Timer or the Regatta Countdown Chronograph since both are in rubber straps (for easy cleaning and disinfection)



Is there one piece in your collection that stands out above all the others?

I think my grail watches are already complete. The Heuer Monaco, the Heuer Silverstone and the Heuer Monza. All named after famous Formula 1 racetracks. The Triple Crown of Motorsports is also a fascination to me. 24 Hours of Le Mans - Heuer Monaco. Indianapolis 500 - Heuer Autavia Viceroy. Monaco Grand Prix - Heuer Carrera Ice King / 2447S.


Do you know what your next piece might be? 

I'm thinking of getting the following; TAG Heuer Porsche Carrera Chronograph SE and/or the TAG Heuer Aquaracer Night Diver (modern day Double O-7)


Some watch enthusiasts have a real problem with quartz watches, how do you feel about them?

I have NO problems with quartz watches. Although I own mostly mechanical/automatic watches, I have four quartz chronographs in my collection (3x Formula 1 and Aquaracer Calibre S) I feel that they are a great starting point for everyone into watches, they are durable, more accurate, not crazy expensive, and also had a great historical impact. Looking into the importance of the "Quartz Crisis" Era, quartz watches were so damned good that it almost made the Swiss watch industry collapse, just look at that significance in that technological pivotal point. So I don't look down or treat them as inferior. My love of mechanical watches is more akin to love of cars to me. You have the body and the engine. The engine is equally important in cars and thus the same for watches, including quartz movements.



And what about the Connected, or smart watches in general?

I actually commend TAG Heuer for taking the bold step in pursuing the Connected. I remember it was in 2015 when TH launched the Connected and it was such as radical and daring move but I believe it is a step in right direction. Just look at where cars are heading to these days? I like the Connected Super Mario edition since it mashes up two of my favourite brands (TAG Heuer and Super Mario).


Do you have a 'money no object' grail watch?

The two most expensive TAG Heuer watches I've bought are the Heuer Autavia Siffert Calibre11 and Heuer Carrera Dato Hodinkee. These two were neither available in my country and were quite difficult to get even in the international watch community. I bought them in 2020 and 2021. There goes my watch fund for the year!


Have you ever bought (or sold) a watch and regretted it?

I haven't sold any of my TAG Heuer Chronographs or any watch for that matter. All of my purchases are carefully thought through and has a reason why they will always stay in the collection 



Have you ever sneaked a watch into the house?

YES but eventually I have to be honest and tell my wife about it 😉 My wife know all of my TAG Heuers. I even sent her a complete picture compilation of the TAG Heuer collection just so she knows if any watch becomes missing.


Is there a watch that you would like to see TAG Heuer re-issue?

Hmm, if there's something I'd like TAG Heuer or Heuer to make it would be a watch named after the track at Spa. The most famous tracks are already covered like Monaco, Monza and Silverstone. The Spa-Francorchamps is the only track missing which is also part of the inaugural F1 Grand Prix in 1950 and is still active today.


What are your feelings on the new Aquaracer?

I like it very much! I don't have any watch with a cyclops yet so it is not an issue for me. So far I have no watch with the NEW TAG Heuer logo in the dial so this might be a good start.



Do you have a watch horror-story? 

YES. A seller from eBay (with a lot of faked reviews in retrospect) shipped to me just a TAG Heuer box (wrong box and papers) with NO WATCH! Luckily PayPal refunded me the whole amount. Lessons learned from this whole experience.


How do you feel about watches that are 'kept for best', do you subscribe to that idea or should everything be worn and scratches are just something that has to happen?

A cousin told me that buying a Ferrari, keeping it pristine and letting it sit in your garage most of its lifetime is like having a very sexy girlfriend in your house, only waiting for someone to "fuck it" in the future. Life is short, enjoy life! You will not bring a single penny in the afterlife so why get bothered making your watches/cars go up in value? Never thought of watches as investments after all. Just look at the vintage watches. People seek them no matter what scratch or what not. Although having a lot of watches makes it harder to rotate all of them.


And finally the question that is literally on everybody's lips... Pistachio Breitling: Yes or No?

Pistachio is yummy but not for watches for me. Breitling or Omega are good. But I think, I'm perfectly fine with just TAG Heuer. 


Thanks again to JP for taking the time to share his collection with us and I hope you have an excellent birthday my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment