Monday 9 May 2022

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Formula 1 Calibre 16 'Senna' Special Edition

 
CAZ201D.BA0633

I don't know how many times I've 'thought' about doing a post about all the 'Senna' watches that TAG Heuer have released over the years, but every time I think about it I get nauseous because I just know I'm going to miss one out and someone's going to mock me for my ineptitude. How many are we talking about? Don't actually know right now, but I can safely say without fear of contradiction that we are well into double figures... and sadly that means that every new 'Senna' watch is met with more than a little indifference since it's generally a case of 'here we go again' at this point.

Over the years a certain pattern has emerged and so Senna watches are now basically either black and red, or less commonly grey/black and yellow. Over the last few years we've had the black/grey and yellow variety so now I guess it's time to revert to red and black once again. Ho hum...


So I guess there's two ways of looking at this watch, and I think this is reflected in the comments from the C.O.C.O. Council, either you look at it on its own merits, in which case it's a handsome looking piece, or you look at it as a particularly uninspired reheating of previous Senna releases, it really is that simple...

But perhaps there is a third way to view this one, and that is as a close cousin of perhaps the best Senna watch released so far, the CAZ1015. That one was released back in 2016 and also wore the Link bracelet, but sadly for those purists among us it was a quartz chronograph (the horror). So perhaps if you've always lusted after that particular model but balked at the thought of a battery powered movement on your wrist then maybe this is the perfect watch for you?


Not that I am saying this model is perfect, because unfortunately as with the previous version we still have that intensely annoying bezel. Ah yes, the one that looks like it's been knocked off centre. You know, some people don't like the Calibre 16 movement because the 6,9,12 subdial layout lacks the symmetry of the 3,6,9 variety: but to my eyes TAG Heuer do a great job of balancing this nicely using the date and the TAG Heuer shield. A pity then that they continue to utilise this bizarre bezel that throws all that carefully balanced design in the toilet. Argh! Not since Tudor's 'Clare de Rose' date window have I seen such wilfully poor design!

But that aside this one does have an awful lot of good points: taking all the nicer features of the 2019 Senna S/E and ditching the odd white subdials to create something altogether more alluring. And I must say, TAG Heuer's decision to use the Link bracelet on these Senna watches is inspired, not only because of the obvious link to Senna (via the S/EL from which the Link was spawned - which is a nice tick in the 'backstory' box), but more importantly because it instantly imbues what is basically an entry level model (if we can call £2950 'entry-level') with a touch of class and makes it look way more expensive than it actually is. While this was more pertinent with the quartz CAZ1015, it still holds true today with the CAZ201D.


One rather odd thing about this watch though is that I actually saw one last year on a website called Rakuten (Japan). It had already been sold when I found it, which is confusing to say the least. So was this delayed from last year and one slipped out somehow? I really don't know... but here's the link:


As you can see, it plainly says '8 months ago', which is all very strange...

Anyway, I look forward to trying this on soon and seeing if it wows me in the flesh. I actually think it looks great, but I wonder how many more times TAG Heuer can reshuffle the same formula. I would imagine at this point that even the most hardened Senna fan is starting to get a bit blasé about these watches and now that TAG Heuer have released Senna tourbillons which are out of reach of many financially, most will have given up on the idea of being able to collect them all.

- -- - - -- -

So now it's time to coat this in honey and throw it to the COCO bears, will they rip it apart or put it on a pedestal?



CAZ201D.BA0633: 6.1 / 10

"Nothing revolutionary compared to some of the previous Formula 1 Senna models, but I like it… Except for the off-center Senna logo at 12 o'clock on the bezel, I like it, and personally, being a Senna edition is always an added value. An 8/10 for me."

"6 for me; almost like all the recent Senna editions of late."

"Nothing to get excited about, do folk buy more than one Senna watch? Sorry, not reaching for the piggy bank so 4/10."

"5/10. I prefer the black and yellow Senna watches; this new one looks too much like some of its earlier predecessors. If they can't do something different, why even bother? Moreover, the continued use of the off-centre 'S' on the bezel is just down right irritating!"

"There is no evolution in this variation. This one is in a rut. I'll give it a 5."

"When I look at it the first time I was like wow I could definitely wear that. Won't be buying one outside my head though. 7/10."

"This is just another watch to me. I'm not a particular fan of the F1 range but the colour scheme of black red and grey is classic TAG Heuer, although it may not be classic Senna. 6/10."

"I dig it, it is the first one that I could say I would buy if it fits my dainty wrists. In person I bet it looks even nicer. The red is a nice pop on the watch unlike the more extreme choices as of late. The price is sensible as well. Solid 8 for me."

"I actually quite like it, but agree that it's a bit of a tired formula, and surely every new "Senna" watch they produce makes the other ones that little bit less special. 5/10."

"It's fine on its own merits but it's getting kinda tired and especially when considering it looks so similar to the Sennas that they've done before. That offset 'S' that should be directly at 12, would drive me absolutely nuts if I were to make the mistake of buying this, though. 4/10."

"It's ok, a little bit reminding of the Fragment if there was no hour markers. Nothing special all in all.
6/10."

"Like the bracelet style, and everything else apart from the Senna connection, which I know defeats the purpose. Never a fan of these type of watches. Less is best IMHO."

"As a watch , it looks nice and especially liking the bracelet, so 6/10. However, if I was judging innovation, creativity and passion to produce something special then it's 0/10. It's just one off the production line I fear. Senna deserves better and if you can’t innovate or be creative then just don’t do one."

"I like this colour scheme more. Red x black x silver screams “racing” to me. If only the SENNA logo was on the 12’o clock position. If this is properly priced, this is an 8 for me."

"Viewing it in isolation this is a nice looking watch, however I can't help thinking it is creatively redundant and the off centre bezel text is a deal breaker. 7/10."


No comments:

Post a Comment