Wednesday 19 April 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Formula 1 'Gulf' Special Edition Quartz Chronograph

 
CAZ101AT.BA0842

It seems like rumours of a new, updated Formula 1 have been swirling around for months if not years now, but to me it seems pretty clear that the Formula 1 has been refreshed with a new look (if not a new case) and so I fully expect this new style of Formula 1 to be around for a while yet. Personally I quite like it; I'll admit I found the 'Red Bull' a bit busy on release, but overall the new watches definitely seem a bit more 'on it' (although to be clear I'm definitely not talking about the dreadful tri-colour F1s here) and for me one which was hanging around and in desperate need of a makeover was the Gulf F1 edition.


And here it is, and I have to say it appears to me to be a tremendous improvement. I can still remember trying on the previous model just after it was released and I really wasn't massively keen on it. I criticised various parts of it and then said 'but it seems to come together as more than the sum of it's parts'... however over time I've come to realise that those details still annoy me, and none more so than the black crown and pushers. I'm sorry but they just look cheap, just as they look cheap on the new solid gold Aquaracers. I'm not saying there's no place for black crowns and pushers, but as a rule of thumb if the case isn't black then they shouldn't be either.


Thankfully the new Gulf F1 features a lovely shiny steel crown and pushers (one of which is even festooned with an orange band just for giggles) and this, alongside the new and improved BA0842 bracelet, lifts the overall impression of the watch quite considerably. Many have said the new style of F1 is very 'busy' and while I wouldn't disagree, in this instance I don't find it cluttered. I also really like the new handset they've opted for, they remind me of the hands on my 'Chronotimer' and allow the user to see more of the subdials when the hands are in the way.


Of course, with any Gulf release the main point of discussion is always the exact colour of the light blue stripe. It seems every time they make a new watch TAG Heuer chooses a slightly different colour and this is definitely very much on the lighter end of the spectrum. It is pretty pale, but I don't find it a problem really - but then I'm not really a Gulf obsessive (unlike a certain someone I could mention).


Overall, to me this one is a great improvement, but of course there is one small problem and that is the price. At £2050, this may be priced just too high for it's own good. I would imagine many people would balk at the idea of reaching past the £2000 threshold when it comes to buying a quartz chronograph, especially when the previous model is still on sale next to it in the boutiques and on the website price a full £250 cheaper. And, it should be pointed out, that model has risen from £1300 on release in 2018 to £1800 today, or to put it another way £100 for every year that has passed since. 


Sure you can point to inflation but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person whose wages haven't budged since 2018, and so personally I think £2050 for the new Gulf is just too much to justify. But taking that out of the equation I have to admit they have done a nice job and if the price is not a dealbreaker for you then this is probably going to be a cool watch to have on your wrist. 

With all that said, until I get one on my wrist, let's find out what the esteemed Council of Considered Opinion have to say about it...





6/10: This is a busy son of a b... and I don't particularly like the handset. Still, you could probably do much worse for a first "big brand" chrono.

8/10: There's a lot to like about this and TAG have definitely got it right. The hand looks great and works well with the dial, along with the lumed number hour markers. Also the addition of 'Gulf' on the bezel looks so much better. Well done TAG.

7/10: Definitely an improvement on the previous version.

7.5/10: Stop/start buttons both need a coloured band? Imbalance would annoy me. How good is the lume? But I do like the style of the hands though. Not sure the blue stripe is quite the right hue, or infact the orange stripe either. If priced right I’d might be tempted to buy one. 7k redline! A bit low, needs to be 9k to match my car!

6/10: A little underwhelming. Face is busy to say the least. Should do away with other shit so the actual Gulf Logo could be added somewhere. JOMO.

8/10: I like it. But the cost is crazy for an “entry level” quartz.

6.5/10: Sunray dial looks great (very nice shade of blue), additional orange accents are nice, and the steel pushers and crown are an improvement. The Gulf blue accents look a bit pale to me, but they may look better in the metal as compared to the renders. 

7/10: My first impression was: cool, those Gulf F1 always look so good. I can imagine myself wearing one of those one day. But on the dial there is really too much going on for my taste. The blue '1' in 'Formula 1' is a nice detail.

8/10: Really liked the first one, with this improving in that without a doubt. Steel pushers and crown, sunray dial, bracelet as standard, subtle blue gulf colouring on the stripes and surrounding the dial. A solid update in my opinion.

7/10: Although the render looks better than the pictures.

5.5/10: Minor improvements on the previous one. Still looks a bit lazy and dated, though, and tricky to read the see-thru hands on that dial. Overall, meh.

8.5/10: A well done update to the GULF F1. However, the price (for a quartz model) is a big negative and halts any thoughts of buying one. Fake F1s have gotten so good that it makes buying pre-owned a risky proposition as well.

6.5/10: An okay looking watch. Nice colours. The dial is a bit busy. Maybe it will be better when I see it in real life. Can't see depth now either. Point of criticism, the word 'Gulf' looks 'Goofy/simple'. Maybe a bolder font would have been better? Or the original Gulf logo?

5/10: Like with last Red Bull Formula 1, dial is way too busy for me, and time is difficult to read. It gives me a headache just looking at it! Price is also very high compared with other F1 quartz chronographs.

7/10: Considering that I am not generally a fan of the F1 models, I find this to be a very cohesive and well designed model. It certainly beats the majority of crap that has been released under the Carrera name for the last few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment