Tuesday 16 May 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Aquaracer 'Hawaii' Limited Edition Calibre 5 Watch

WBP201G.BA0632

Credit where it's due, this one was flagged up by THF Forum & C.O.C.O. member 'Mspeedster', who spotted this new Limited Edition while vacationing in Hawaii. Who knows when or if, we would ever have found out about this one otherwise since Googling the part number and 'Aquaracer Hawaii' has drawn an absolute blank. So huge thanks to Michael for bringing it to our attention and also for the great pictures!

Photos by Mspeedster

Not really too much to say about the watch itself, it being a mild variation of the standard silver dial 43mm Aquaracer decorated with a dark blue bezel (which you may not have noticed at first glance) and bright yellow hour and minute hands (which quite frankly you can't have failed to notice). I think the blue bezel is an epic choice, with massive appeal - even if it does slightly veer into Omega Seamaster territory, but the hands are sure to divide opinion. Personally I think they are perhaps a little too much, but then again if you can't have fun in a place like Hawaii then where can you?


This one is limited to just fifty pieces and is only available from the newly opened TAG Heuer boutique in Hawaii. Nice. Okay, a shortish post today, but it's been a very busy weekend as Jim Dollares and I hit London together for the first time - much to be said about that in future, but for now let's find out what the other members of the Council made of this unusual model...





6/10: The blue of the bezel doesn't come across well in photos. Looks better in person, as the dark blue bezel complements the yellow hands. But the blue/yellow colour combo isn't really my style.

6/10: The dial is nice and the blue bezel looks good, however I'm just not sure about the yellow hands. They're sort of growing on me but they just make it look a bit cartoonish for me, which is a shame.

6/10: Hmm, the yellow hands look better than I'd expected but still not amazing. Nice dial though.

5/10: The bright yellow hands clash with the rest of the package. Looks like a Frankenwatch.

5/10:  The yellow hands kill it for me too...

8/10: Within the context of the Aquaracer range, this looks really rather nice.

5/10: I get what they were going for, but too much yellow for me… making it the worst AR 300 for me.

7/10: The more i think about it, the more I don't prefer 6 o'clock date window WITH cyclops. Still an OK watch. 

6/10: Hands ruining what could've been a nice colourway

5/10: Like the bezel, love the dial, dislike the yellow hands

7/10: I imagine it may look nice in the metal.

5.5/10: A classy looking watch. Until you get to the yellow hands.

5.5/10: I would have to say the same. Reminded me of the Grey and Blue Seamaster style…until the hands.

5/10: Looks like a franken / parts-bin special and I imagine watch nerds 50 years from now will have a field day trying to figure out if it's genuine. Not the worst thing I've seen but I don't think it works.

2 comments:

  1. Are you calling the WBP201C a basic bitch?

    "...variation of the standard silver dial 43mm Aquaracer"

    Standard? Standard?! You mean the most perfect Aquaracer with holy silver dial

    This is not Jim by the way, I am a random commenter who loves silver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's still a nice watch, but it's not as 'special', because green is always 'special' even when it's not a 'special' edition, because it's green and green is somewhat 'special' in the watch world which is normally filled with black, blue and silver watches, but not 'green' watches, which is why green watches are kind of 'special'. And in fact you know this now because you have seen, touched and held it in your manly Swedish hand.... hahaha

      Delete