Sunday 28 May 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Sports 'Green' Heuer 02 Chronograph

 
CBN2A1N.BA0643                                        CBN2A1N.FT6238

Considering it's supposed to be the 'Year of the Carrera', it seems like the 44mm 'Sports' range has been rather ignored in 2023. But here, finally, we have something new for those of you with a larger diameter wrist, with this green dial and bezel Heuer 02 powered chronograph. 

There has of course already been a green dial / steel bezel 44mm Sports, but this is a much darker shade with a hint of teal about it and while I am only now writing my First Impressions post, the truth is I have already tried this watch on.


Now usually I wouldn't cop to that, I would spin it out into two separate posts. But a) right now I have more than enough posts to write and b) at the end of the day this is the same watch as before just with a different coloured dial and bezel, so how much is there really to say?

Unfortunately I only got to see the CBN2A1N on the bracelet, which is a shame as the new green rubber strap is perhaps the most interesting aspect of this new release. From the pictures it appears to mimic the look of the bracelet, which is an interesting idea but not a new one for TAG Heuer.


Back in the 1990s the brand produced rubber straps which mimicked the steel bracelet for the Formula 1 range. Though hopefully these new straps will look a bit better as those old ones really didn't look particularly 'luxurious' at all. In fact they looked fairly awful in my opinion, especially when rendered in bright orange!

While it looks a little curious, I do think it's a good thing that they've given the watch a metal end link though, as otherwise there is a chance the strap could have looked a bit 'aftermarket' which is not what you want when you are spending this kind of money on a timepiece (£5550 on the bracelet, £5350 on the rubber). 


As I said, I have indeed seen this watch (in the Oxford Street boutique) and it is damned difficult to photograph, mostly my photographs came out looking like a black dial, but really it is a darkish bluey green, which while it does not quite perfectly match the ceramic bezel, does not clash with it either. I can only suggest seeing one in person as I am yet to see a photo which truly captures the colour properly - though the first photo on this page is fairly representative.

In the meantime let's see what the ever attentive Council of Considered Opinion have to say about this new development.





Bracelet & Rubber - 6.5/10: "Live pics of the dial look better than the renders, however there are many other Carrera Sports I'd choose over this one. The rubber strap is interesting. Gives it more colour, but the jury is still out on the faux bracelet look."

Bracelet & Rubber - 6/10: "Normally I like the versions on a rubber or leather strap better than on a steel bracelet (so I give them an extra point), but not this time. I don't really like this rubber strap with a false metal bracelet shape, so my vote is 6/10 for both versions."

Bracelet & Rubber - 8/10: "I really like the colour and both iterations equally. I would buy the bracelet version and immediately order the rubber strap. I like the added touch of solid end links on the rubber. Well done, I just wish I had the wrist for it."

Bracelet & Rubber - 4/10: "Oversized? Check. Dial & bezel the same colour? Check. Clunky design? Check. Oh, it must be a Carrera Sports model. Given that the Carrera was born out of the sport connection, it is a bizarre that TAG Heuer have got themselves into such a pickle that they need to identify the Carrera as a sports model!"

Bracelet & Rubber - 7/10: "Elegant green colour. Still think the overflowing date register is poor design on these Sport models. It's good to have a rubber strap option."

Bracelet - 8/10, Rubber Strap - 6/10: "It's a Shrek Chronograph. It's bound to be either iconic or meme legend."

Bracelet - 7/10, Rubber Strap - 4/10: "Looks Hulky to me. Nice on the metal strap, always a fan of a Green and Silver combo. On the rubber strap there's way too much green."

Bracelet - 6.5/10, Rubber Strap - 7/10: "Afternoon, I got mixed up with pics and thought the bracelet was green! A bit disappointed it’s not but the rubber strap looks fine."

Bracelet - 6/10, Rubber 4.5/10: "A very nice green dial. But with all the shortcomings of the 44mm case, and the bezel in the same colour which will not make it wear any smaller. And that green rubber with steel endlinks is a bit weird."

Bracelet - 6/10, Rubber 7/10: "Unfortunately, the watch is too big for me.. But it looks good. Nice green!"

Bracelet - 6/10, Rubber 4.5/10: "The rubber strap looks cheap and does not compliment the watch at all. Overall the watch itself is ok, but I'm not sure i like the tone of green used here, A good effort but not for me. Much prefer this watch on the bracelet option, it looks so much better in my opinion. Like I said previously not sure about the tone of green used but curiously it doesn't look so bad with the bracelet, much easier on the eye."

No comments:

Post a Comment