Sunday 3 September 2023

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Monaco 'Jamie Carragher 23 Foundation' Calibre 6 Limited Edition Watch

 
WW2110-0 'Jamie Carragher'

You may remember a couple of weeks ago I managed to turn up a watch that I hadn't seen before and commented how unusual this is these days after years of extensive research. But of course there are always more oddities to uncover and today we have another truly obscure piece to talk about.

I won't pretend to know anything about football past about 1981; my last in-person experience was watching Leicester City defeat Manchester United during one of Leicester's brief forays into Divison One (as it was then called, now the Premier League). So I'm afraid Jamie Carragher, whose career spanned about 17 years between 1996 and 2013 was never on my radar. Until now of course.


Jamie played in defence for Liverpool throughout his entire career and also earned 38 caps for England, so I assume he must have been pretty decent at his job. Nowadays he is a pundit, I believe for Sky Sports, which again would explain why I'd never heard of him.

So how did it come to be that this Monaco Calibre 6 turned up with his signature on the dial? Well, the dial is very hard to read in these pics but once I realised that it said '23 Foundation' things started to make a little more sense.


You see, the '23 Foundation' is Jamie's charity where he auctions football memorabilia to raise money for children and other causes around Liverpool. So I assume they must have approached TAG Heuer to make watches for them to sell on their website? Not sure where the TAG Heuer connection came from, how all this came about or why the 37mm Monaco was chosen, but that seems to be what happened, one way or another. 


While there's plenty of limited edition Monacos in circulation, it's quite a rarity to see a Calibre 6 LE, in fact I'm struggling to think of another one off the top of my head. This piece is marked 18/23 on the side of the case, which is quite a cool touch. It's always nice to see limited editions individually numbered, especially when they are this limited!

This one turned up on eBay at quite a hefty price, although it suddenly dropped about £1300 to £3200, which is probably still quite a lot for the watch alone, but for a 23 piece limited edition? I guess it depends how many fans Mr Carragher has out there and how bad they want one of these watches? 

3 comments:

  1. These watches are very rare. I have a Number 10 out of 23 still in showroom condition

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Number 2 of 23 never worn

    ReplyDelete