Saturday 13 April 2024

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera 'Panda' Glassbox Calibre TH20-00 Chonrograph

CBS2216.BA0041

Okay then, here we go with the first of the new watches released at Watches & Wonders... and I thought I might as well start with the one most people will have the most interest in, since a) it's a Carrera Panda, and b) it doesn't cost £120,000. Oh don't you worry, we'll get to those new Monacos eventually... but probably not anytime soon as there's a lot to digest there and I feel like I haven't really understood all the intricate details, like why it costs more than my house did in 2003!


Anyway, as you surely know by now, I'm not the biggest fan of the 39mm glassbox Carreras (just as well I have 27 COCO members to bounce off then!) but this one isn't too bad. My main gripe with it really is that the subdials look slightly too far apart and more disturbingly they foul the edge of the flange that meets the edge of the dial. I never noticed this on the other models, I'm guessing the 'Panda' style of this model makes it more obvious. I'm also guessing this is because the TH20-00 (Heuer 02) movement is right on the edge of being too big for this case size...


But then again, when you look at the old Heuer 7753SN (which this new model is paying tribute to), that has the same slightly too-far-apart subdials too, so I guess perhaps we should think of it more as a 'heritage inspired feature' than a flaw? 


According to 'Time & Tide's' video on the new releases this new model wears smaller than the other glassboxes due to its black bezel. I can't imagine who needs a glassbox that wears 'smaller' since these already wear very small on the wrist. Of more note is the fact that this is the first glassbox to come on a bracelet rather than a strap. Presumably it will also be available on a strap at some point though, it certainly seems to work better from the pictures I've seen on the THF forum.


The bracelet itself seems fairly unremarkable, and doesn't have any kind of quick adjustment - something of a failing for a new bracelet at this price point I would have thought. But that aside I've been told by several people that this watch looks stunning in person and so my initial fear that we may be in for another 'Carrera Panda' washout come Watch of the Year time may sadly yet come to fruition. I mean I hope not... because it's getting beyond a joke now.


And yet, the scores for this one were definitely not what I was expecting. If you recall last year the 60th Anniversary Panda smashed it with a veritable avalanche of 9's and 10's. Not so with the 'First Impressions' scores for the CBS2216; three 3/10s and even a 2/10 were among the responses, along with a solitary 9/10 and not one single 10. Shocker! 

But then I can still see this being a genuine contender for the COCO Watch of the Year because I don't see anything else currently being able to unify enough people to mount a challenge (indeed looking at this year's releases so far it's hard to remember a weaker line up since this blog started in 2016). But still there's plenty of time for TAG Heuer to surprise us so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Okay let's turn this over to the Council and see what they have to say for themselves.





6.5/10. "Overall it's aesthetically pleasing. I particularly like the sub-dials, a good contrast against the silver dial with the nice red hands popping, Just wish they could have placed them more towards the centre of the dial."

6/10. "I’m not a fan of this dial."

5/10. "Mwha, I squeeze out a 5/10 This is partly due to the red tip of the secondhand."

3/10. "These look small enough already, without this colour combo allegedly making this version look even smaller! It’s clear that there will be a continual drip feed of these coming, which will polarise the scoring. 3/10 from me. Sorry guys."

6/10. "Might be nicer in the flesh, however the modern look I’m not sure suits the vintage case. Great to see a modern bracelet though."

7.5/10. "I think it’s a nice looking watch but the two black subdials instead of three are a miss for me."

2/10. "I think this design is not cool."

9/10. "The star of the show, the silver tone looks better in real life I think. If it wasn't the case of most of Tag Heuer watches nowadays..."

8/10. "Simple, effective, strong colour contrast, good bracelet."

3/10. "The subdials just look too far apart to me, and I really dislike any of these models that have this style of quasi-subdial at 6:00 (yes, I’m looking at you too, Skipper). I still dislike the new style (sapphire over bezel) glassbox Carreras. I really don’t like the new glassbox offerings. The reverse panda looked good, but the bezel inside the sapphire really bothers me."

7/10. "I don’t like this bracelet for this watch. I would give it more points with a black leather rally strap (maybe even better with red stitching). My favourite among the new glassboxes is still the
CBS2011.FC6529 Carrera 'Porsche Chronosprint', so it’s a 7/10."

8.5/10. "When I was shown a preview pic, I wasn't that impressed. But seeing it in person changed everything. This is one of those watches that needs to be seen in live to be fully appreciated (IMHO). It doesn't surpass the 60th Anniversary, but it's a great addition to TAG's line up."

6/10. "A truly excellent design completely ruined by the running seconds. I know people who were really excited about this one who have already turned it down because of that."

8/10. " I pre-ordered one, but haven't received it yet."

4/10. "Sorry to anybody who has bought one. I imagine it will look a bit better in the metal, but for me, this is the least appealing of the 39mm glassboxes released so far."

3/10. "I think there is a designer with brain damage in the TAG HQ!"

No comments:

Post a Comment