Friday 12 October 2018

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Carrera Heuer 02T Tourbillon Senna Special Edition

CAR5A91.FT6162

This is the latest in a long line of Senna branded TAG Heuers and here they've gone right to the top of the tree utilising the Heuer 02T, which means that now there's pretty much a Senna for everyone's pocket, from the F1 in the low £1000s to the Heuer 01 around the £5500 mark and this top of the range model retailing at $21,200 (approximately £16,000).

Overall this looks nice enough, I really like that strap with the red stitching for example, but I'm not crazy about that red 'S' somehow. I think it's just a little too much red in one lump. The red text on the bezel looks great, as does the subdial hand, but that S... I'm not so sure. Admittedly perhaps the guy that wants a watch branded 'Senna' may not want subtlety, but this isn't a Formula 1 we're talking about here, it's one of TAG's most expensive pieces, and I don't think I'd choose it myself.

The watch community welcomed the Heuer 02 movement with open arms when it was announced, but I'm yet to be entirely convinced, at least by the skeletonised versions. I get that some people much prefer the brand logo to be at the 12 position, but I really don't like the way it floats on the bridge... it just looks like there's something missing up there, but maybe once we see solid dials it will be okay. There is a body of opinion that once the Heuer 02 Carreras actually arrive the Heuer 01s will become less desirable, but I definitely won't be trading mine in. I personally think the 6/9/12 subdial arrangement looks much better, even if it is less symmetrical.


This one comes with a display back (as you would expect really) and it looks pretty neat. I'm pleased to see the Senna 'S' isn't too obtrusive, sometimes the logos can really get in the way of seeing the movement, which rather negates the whole point of having a glass back on the watch in the first place.

I'm a little confused about the case and bezel as both are listed as being 'sandblasted steel and ceramic', It would make more sense if this had a steel case with a ceramic bezel, but that's what the official website says, so we have to assume it's right.

Speaking of subtlety, this one is housed in the larger 45mm case, so again, not much of that going on here. But then if you're going to spend this kind of money on an in house Swiss tourbillon with a red 'S' on the dial, you probably don't want it to go completely unnoticed, do you?

Clearly this is way out of my price range, but it doesn't bother me overly. I honestly think I'd rather take the Heuer 01 Senna with the black PVD bracelet (although I'd be somewhat worried about its durability) at the £5500 price point and keep the other £10,500 or buy a standard pre-owned Heuer 02T with it instead (and maybe try and get one of these red stitched straps for it).

No comments:

Post a Comment