Tuesday 16 October 2018

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer S/EL Quartz Two Tone Chronograph

CG1120-0

Well, my long standing quest to find a classic Formula 1 has come to an end, and as a matter of fact (all being well) in a couple of weeks I should also be in possession of an S/EL as well. Happy days! I've just got to wait for the watchmaker to come back from his holiday and a new glass to be fitted and we'll be ready to roll...

But first, I thought I'd share with you one of the watches I nearly bought. This two-tone quartz chronograph CG1120-0 was on Ebay for £599 (still is actually, last time I looked) and while I admit it's not everybody's cup of tea, I was seriously tempted...


Since I bought my 2000 Exclusive I've really come to like wearing two-tone, I think all-gold would be a bit too much (stylistically and price wise - although I do kind a like that crazy solid gold 2000 Exclusive that was about £12,000) but two-tone gives you just enough bling without making you look like a pimp. It also helps if you're wearing a smaller watch, as somehow it feels right that a gold watch should be smaller. I don't know, it's just feels like a larger gold watch is a bit too in-your-face...


Even though I know my black dial S/EL is coming, I still can't help but wonder about this one. I always said that if I was going to buy a two-tone watch it would probably be an S/EL, simply because it typifies that 80s/90s look, albeit as it turned out I ended up with the 2000 Exclusive instead. And that may be why I didn't end up buying this one, my wife certainly wasn't keen... ('it looks too much like the other one' she said - completely ignoring the plethora of black dial, steel cased TAGs in my collection! What she actually meant was 'it's hideous', but I still kinda like it) not that that matters too much. She didn't like the Microtimer either, but she's come round to it eventually.


Clearly it's not for everyone as this example looks in great shape (better than the one I'm getting I'd say, and cheaper) but the white dial and more likely the two-tone finish are probably making it a hard sell. Truth be told if this is still around once I've got hold of mine, I might think about adding this too. I'm kinda looking at these pictures and wondering if I've made a mistake. I don't think I have because my watch is nice too, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have both. Even if I have to hide it for a few months and bring it out after Christmas (I think I've really pushed it this year, I've added nine watches to the collection - although in my defence I have sold two!), well, we'll see... :)


It's the usual 38mm case for this one, although if memory serves the bracelet might only be 7.1/2", which means I'd either need to source an extra link or two or go on a diet. Damn it, this is killing me... have I bought the wrong watch? Buyer's remorse is one thing but I haven't even got mine yet... 


Time will tell I suppose, but this is a really nice example. Is the price too high? Maybe. It doesn't seem overpriced, but it isn't selling... I think that two-tone look is a definite deal breaker for some people, which is kinda why I want to get hold of my watch first. If I get on with it then I might make a move on this, but if I don't I definitely don't want to get lumbered with a two-tone that I've overpaid for. I've already got one watch I've got mixed feelings about, I don't want another...

No comments:

Post a Comment