Tuesday 25 December 2018

SPOTLIGHT ON: Formula 1 Quartz Chronograph

CAC1112.BA0850

I think if somebody were to ask me what my least favourite TAG Heuer was, this (along with some similarly ugly variants) would have to be in the running. There are of course many TAGs that don't appeal to me, and many (Links) that I find dreadfully tedious, but this one seems almost actively offensive.

It's actually quite hard to pinpoint anything about this watch that I like. I'm yet to be convinced by a red dial, but that in itself isn't necessarily a 'bad' thing, but if you do have a red dial it's probably better not to have the red and green logo on top of it... and red hands on the subdials, and that red circle in the middle of running seconds subdial looks pretty naff as well.

Then there's the bezel.... something about the font is just nasty. It's trying to be modern and edgy, but it just ends up looking a bit tacky... and then there's the piece de resistence, those red crown guards. For the love of God - why? And as if that wasn't heinous enough - they put a slab of red plastic around the other side of the case too! 

Aaaaarrrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!


I realise of course that I could be heavily offending someone right now, and if so I apologise. Please feel free to unsubscribe, or whatever you wish to do... but ultimately I cannot condone ownership of such a hideous, hideous watch. Literally everything about this is downright nasty. Those Arabic numerals just scream 'ugly', there just isn't a good angle to shoot this watch from - it's an abomination.


When people say that TAG lost their way in the 00s, I presume this is the kind of watch they are referring to - because TAG made some damn nice watches in the 00s, but this is not one of them. True, you could argue that this watch represents something akin to the original, colourful, resin F1s from the mid to late 80s... but I'd take a classic F1 over this abomination any day of the week. I mean those ludicrously over-sized crown guards don't look good even on the black versions, but in red they became a positive eye-sore.


Compare, if you will, this monstrosity with a 90s era red dial Formula 1 chronograph. Surely it doesn't take but a moment to see the contrasting success of the designs? Both are colourful, but only one looks cheap and tacky.

CA1215

So many similarities, but yet the CA1215 is so much better put together. It's styling is simple and elegant where the CAC1112 is clumsy and overdone. It's like when the Americans decided that cars had to have rubber bumpers and cars like the MGB suddenly became bloated and ugly overnight. Only no one was 'forcing' TAG to do this, they somehow thought it was a good look... words fail me.


I guess, if there is anything good to be said about this watch, it might be that the lume looks reasonably bright. At least on the hands anyway... and, well, no I'm struggling to think of anything else good to say about this one.

But wait, there's more... I've just found an example on eBay described as, wait for it... 'stylish TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz' that comes complete with a red rubber strap...


Bizarrely, it is kind of an improvement (of sorts - like two wrongs making a right!), but the seller wants £520 for his watch (which seems more than a little optimistic given that the same watch is available on a bracelet for well under £350).

Again, if you own this watch, I'm sorry for my harsh words, but seriously... I can't with good conscience heap praise on such an awful piece. Still, as I've said before, the reason I love TAG is that they take risks, and sometimes those risks backfire. Better that than an unending stream of conservative boredom, if I wanted that I'd buy Longines!

2 comments: