Wednesday 16 January 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer 2018 Max Verstappen Formula 1 Quartz

CAZ101U.BA0843

TAG Boutique / Oxford Street, 5th January 2019

Like most people I suspect, I've never gotten to see either of the first two Max Verstappen Formula 1 watches close up. The first one being a limited edition and with Max clearly a superstar in the making, I think it pretty much sold out before they had a chance to get into stores and the second one (while a special edition rather than a limited) never made it to any store I saw either. Which is a shame actually, because judging by the pictures they were fun, colourful pieces that kind of bring to mind those original resin cased Formula 1s from the 1980s.

Of the two, I think if I had to choose I would take the original 2016 model with the orange strap, if only because the orange seems to sit a little better with the dark blue bezel and dial. But now TAG has produced a third Max Verstappen Formula 1 and with Max's design input (apparently) they've taken the watch in a new direction... and I'm not sure it's the right one.


I mean, I guess we should give them props for not just bringing out an identi-kit Formula 1 watch with maybe a yellow strap this time (although that would probably have looked pretty cool with the blue bezel, but maybe steps on Aston Martin's toes a little), but for me the use of the ceramic bracelet is somewhat bizarre, it just doesn't go with the dial for me. And while we're on the subject of the dial, I have a few issues with that as well, not least that stripe.

I know this isn't the first F1 with that very thin stripe (see the James Hunt model) but I really, really dislike it. I'd much rather they'd made it thicker like on the CAZ101H 'Fangio' Formula 1, that would have been a good start... but I also have to take issue with the hands, they are very red and very shiny. Too shiny... so they look cheap and plasticy. I'm sure they are the hands from the 'Senna' Formula 1 (the one with the red and black rubber strap), but they seem to work better on that watch somehow. The rest of the dial is okay, although that red is very dark and looks a bit wrong with the black background, and there's an awful lot of it. Everyone loves a red highlight on a watch, which is why TAG make so many watches with little bits of red here and there, but here it's applied rather too enthusiastically, let's say!



Judging by the overall look I'm not really sure that asking Max to give his input was the best option. True I suppose by doing that you are getting something more personal to Max, but at the same time if this watch demonstrates anything, it's probably that it's really not all that easy to design a watch! Even when you're largely using previously available parts...


I have a feeling it would look better on a rubber strap if I'm honest, I think if you take away the ceramic bracelet then you take away the pretensions of grandeur and the watch goes back to being a fun piece (and in the process you get rid of the crappy pressed clasp as well). I still don't think that would be enough to convince me because I really can't deal with that skinny stripe.

To be fair if you like the watch in pictures you're unlikely to be disappointed by the real thing as this is another piece that looks better in person than in print. As you'd expect (clasp aside) the watch feels substantial and well made, and I don't have any problems with the bracelet other than that it has no business being attached to this watch, in fact maybe this would be a good bracelet to match with the Aston Martin Formula 1?


I think that looks pretty good actually, maybe TAG should ask me to design a watch... hahaha.

This one is again listed as a 'special edition' rather than a limited edition, but supposedly there are only 1300 being made. This makes sense, since presumably there will be another 'Max' watch at the end of 2019 so they really need to shift 100 a month to make sure they're all gone before then. Hopefully Max will be a little less hands on next time though, as he doesn't seem to have the talent for watch design that he clearly has for driving!

2 comments:

  1. I think the reason why you never saw the first two ones is that they were Netherlands exclusive releases. Might have been just the first one but I think it was both... //Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim
      That's a distinct possibility, especially the first one. Seems a shame to limit it though really when F1 is such a global sport. Still I guess Max wasn't quite the superstar in waiting that is now...
      Rob

      Delete