Saturday 6 April 2019

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer 6000 Chronometer Solid Gold Watch

WH5143.BG0675

Here's a watch which is definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I have to admit I kinda like it! I don't know how comfortable I'd feel wearing it mind you, as it doesn't get too much bolder than this... but that aside, what a statement. The 6000 Series was always the most regal looking of all the TAG Heuers, so it makes perfect sense that this should have been available in a solid 18K gold variant. And of course, if you're going to splash this sort of cash on a watch you don't want some afterthought quartz movement inside, so TAG Heuer fitted this one with a chronometer certified automatic movement to ensure it works as good as it looks*.
*Depending on your point of view, obviously.

I found this one for sale on AMJ Watches' website. I've never used the company so I don't know anything about them, but the watch is 39mm and when I saw it it was being offered at £7000. It's been on the website at least a couple of months, and I should imagine it might be there a little while longer as this is not going to be an easy watch to sell. The company has a showroom in Newark and I'm almost tempted to take a day trip up there just to have a look at this one... (Newark also has a castle so not an entirely stupid idea).


Not too sure about the white dial though, it's a bit dull... I'm tempted to suggest a dark blue dial but that might make it a little too opulent and regal looking. Maybe a black dial would be better? As it is the dial doesn't really stand out, I guess it tones down the overall look - but if you're buying a solid gold watch do you want it toned down?

I like how they've utilised different finishes on the watch, the mixture of brushed and polished surfaces looks really good and I think if the whole thing had been polished it would have looked way over the top. Also, given how easily gold scratches, from a practical point of view it would have been a bit of a nightmare keeping the watch looking good, especially the bracelet.


My only real concern with this, aside from the performance of what is now quite an old watch, is the bracelet. From my own experience I know that the steel version is quite delicate and prone to problems with the links, and I can't imagine the gold version being any more robust (quite the opposite if anything...) so I would be checking this over extremely carefully if I was looking to buy. Unfortunately it's problems such as this that lead to lower end gold watches being sold for scrap as the watch is often worth nearly as much melted down and that combined with high repair costs/lack of spares can make it the 'best' option for some people - though obviously a true TAG Heuer enthusiast would never countenance such villainy!

It's actually hard to imagine this selling for anywhere near £7,000. That sort of money will buy you quite a lot of watch, and there can't be many people who would invest their money into this given what else is out there. But I guess it's the sort of watch someone might just fall in love with and it's just a case of getting it under their nose and making them aware of it. Personally I think an auction might be a good move, or perhaps moving it on to one of the shops in Burlington Arcade? It would be a real shame if it didn't sell and ended up being scrapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment