Monday 1 April 2019

FEATURE: Responding to a Reader's Comment

Blogging can sometimes feel like shouting into an empty room, so it's always welcome to receive feedback from readers even if you don't necessarily agree with what they have to say. Yesterday I received a comment from a reader on a post that I made in January 2018 called 'Why Does TAG Heuer Get So Much Hate?'.

N.Reid posted: I've owned two Tags, a 1980s 1000 diver in steel and a c2016 Carerra Caliber 7. I inherited the 1000 and still have it, though because quartz isn't really my thing I almost never wear it. Can't comment on quality vs. price; it seems solid enough as entry-level "luxury" and I'm not sure what they originally sold for. The Carerra I got dirt, dirt cheap from a local pawn, purely to flip. I didn't feel strongly about it one way or the other -- it was just a generic 3-hand/date watch with nothing to set it apart as unique. It was ok I guess, inoffensive design, but nothing I'd ever go out of my way to own, nor ever choose if I were in the market for a new watch of it's approximate price point. Anyway, I think a lot of the reason they get a lot of hate is due to one particular model, the Link S/EL. I'm sorry, but it's garbage. Especially the gold plated models. My god. Even in steel, I really don't like the overly-rounded, almost melted looking design direction. It's cheap and tacky looking, and at least to me, has become associated with the worst of 1990s style and a certain kind of person who always seemed to be wearing an S/EL... and they seemed to be everywhere back then. I think you know what I mean. Now, whenever someone mentions Tag Heuer those old S/ELs and their awful tacky design are what come immediately to mind. 


Tacky, really.....?

Looking through their modern catalog, the Monaco is the only watch of theirs that does anything for me. The rest aren't so much "bad" as just "meh"; and when I see the prices, cliche or not, I really would rather get an Omega (or a Tudor, for that matter: the Black Bay remains one of my favorites and most worn modern watches). Point is, to me and the few fellow watch collectors I actually know in real life, TAG kind of got ruined by that ubiquitous and godawful S/EL.

All that said, when I was a kid in the '80s I really, really wanted a Formula 1 after seeing some magazine ad for them. I browse them on ebay now and then just a shame they're so *tiny*, even for their time
.

First of all, thanks to N. Reid for taking the time to leave a comment, I definitely appreciate it, especially for taking the time to post more than just a single line. 

So honestly, I can see where you are coming from in many ways, but firstly as the owner of a two-tone S/EL (which I am wearing right now) I have to disagree. I get that it's definitely of it's time and a lot of people would rather wear a dead badger around their wrist, but I kinda like it. The design is a bit strange, but I like its uniqueness and in some ways I prefer it to the Link that superceded it. It's funny that you point the finger at the S/EL as it's usually the Link which people hold up as an example when they want to slate the brand. Perhaps you are a little older (like me) and it's an age thing...



I must admit I did pause before buying as it is a bit of a statement piece, and I did try to buy a black dial steel S/EL first (which fell through because the seller couldn't source a replacement glass and movement for a reasonable price), and when I first got it I did feel a little bit self conscious wearing it out, but I've got over it now and sometimes I even wear it to work. But I'm certainly not going to tell you you're 'wrong', it's a matter of taste and I clearly don't have any! Hahahaha.

Moving on to the second part of your comment, it's a bit of a cliche to hear don't buy TAG Heuer get an Omega or a Tudor, and there's two things I would say to that. As far as Omega goes I've only recently had proper experience of the brand, I tried on 6 in one day ('On the Wrist' posts are in the queue) and I didn't really take to any of them that much... I also think that while there is some degree of crossover Omega definitely seems to inhabit a higher price bracket than TAG, I've always said that one of the main reasons I like TAG Heuer is because when I find watches I like by other brands they are too expensive. This is the case with Omega for the most part, and that aside, those scalloped bezels on the Seamaster are hideous




As for Tudor, yes the Black Bay is extremely popular but it's also unashamedly retro and if retro doesn't do it for you then what have Tudor really got going for them? The North Flag is flat out weird and the only other watch Tudor do that holds any interest for me is the Pelagos and while I do like the lumed bezel it's not something I would choose over a top end Aquaracer. My friend Rich has the Pelagos LHD and it's pretty cool, but he still pines for the lost Aquaracer he could have had.



In fact the same can be said about a lot of brands unfortunately, especially Breitling who seem to be clambering aboard the retro bandwagon even though the wheels must surely be starting to come loose by now. If you want a modern design your choices are limited, and I think it's fair to say that TAG Heuer really do dominate that end of the market. Admittedly the new Seamaster is pretty aggressively modern, but I can't make up my mind about that new 'grooved' dial, it's a bit Marmite I think, but I applaud them for doing something different - too much watch design is safe and boring at the moment so props to Omega for that.



I'm glad you own a couple of TAG Heuers, there's nothing worse than reading anti-TAG rhetoric from people who don't but who claim 'ALL their friends have and they ALL said they are rubbish' (that means you 'The Time Teller'...), and yes I agree with you about the Formula 1's they are very small, and even the larger chronographs look smaller than they are as I found out when I bought my white dial CA1212-1 recently... it's 37/38mm but because it's chunky it definitely appears smaller than my 3000 Series which is only 9mm thick.



Again, thanks for reading my blog, I hope you will continue to visit and maybe leave another comment in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment