Thursday 21 November 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5

WAY201M.FC6474

TAG Heuer Boutique / Meadowhall, Sheffield 16th November 2019

Another watch leaked by a certain Czech website some time ago, and even now that it's in the stores pictures of it are hard to come by... this is a 'boutique only' piece that is limited to 250 pieces and I must say, on paper this one shouldn't really work, but close up it really does. 

Despite that, there were gasps of incredulity from the Calibre 11 forum when this one was released... What on Earth are they thinking putting an alligator strap on a 300M dive watch? A fair argument indeed, but as someone who barely likes washing his hands wearing a 500M diver with a bracelet, it perhaps make more sense to me than some people.

My scepticism was more rooted in the mix of grey dial and brown strap, but getting it on the wrist put paid to that. I'm not the biggest fan of brown straps full stop, so for a watch like this to win me over it must be doing something right, and here the very small gold details on the dial tie the colour scheme together. There's a black gold second hand and also some very small gold markers around the outside of the hour markers; barely noticeable really but just enough to add a touch of 'something'.


I also really like the matt grey ceramic bezel, which is very tactile.. almost like stone in appearance, and on reflection maybe limiting the gold to the second hand rather than all the hour markers and hands might be a good decision.

I'm sure some people would say they like the watch but they don't like it on this strap, and there's nothing to stop you changing it of course. But to what? If we're sticking with alligator straps then grey would be a bit too tonal, and black might risk making the watch look a bit washed out. I think brown is actually a decent choice, but personally I would probably get one of those fluted rubber TAG Heuer straps that fills the lugs; yes it won't look as smart, but rubber is never as dark as black leather and I think it would fit well with the overall scheme, after all TAG Heuer have form for mixing gold and rubber (think 500M Aquaracers and Grand Carreras), besides... you have to look really hard at that second hand to see that it's gold if I'm completely honest!

So overall I'm onboard, but I couldn't really see me adding this to my collection at this price (£2450), especially with so many other competing distractions flying around. Still, it was interesting to have a look and satisfy my curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment