Tuesday 26 November 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Chronograph

CAC1112.BA0850

Michael Jones / Northampton, 28th October 2019

When people talk about TAG Heuer 'losing their way' in the 00s, I'd like to think this is the kind of watch they are referring to. Back in December 2018 I wrote a 'Spotlight On' post about this watch (which I had forgotten about), but now I've had the 'pleasure' of trying it on; has it changed my mind? Well, no... if anything I loathe it even more than before.


Supposedly this watch is 41mm, but I find that a little bit hard to believe, maybe it's because the bezel is smaller than the case and the case is then extended by those (awful) bumpers on the sides, but if I had to guess I would say it was more like 39/40mm. Which wouldn't be a major problem if the watch was in any way attractive (which it isn't).


I mean, where do you start with this thing? I guess you start with the most obviously offensive element and work down, and that would be those red bumpers. Who on Earth thought they were a good idea? Not only are they easily damaged (and apparently not replaceable according to a fellow Calibre 11 forum member who tried to repair his mangled Formula 1!) but they are seriously ugly.


The dial is busier and more crowded than the M25 at rush hour with the '3' and '9' Arabic markers compromised by the subdials, and it's got that horrible, shiny 00s bezel... honestly, I'm really struggling to find one positive thing to say about this watch, it's got to be one of the nastiest looking watches that TAG Heuer have ever made.

Also available on a dreadful rubber strap...

But then again, no doubt this will sell (maybe not for the £695 asking price, but it will sell eventually) and no one could accuse it of being boring... and I guess the bracelet is okay. Yeah really, that's the best thing I can come up with here, the bracelet! 

When you think of all the nice looking watches you could buy with £695, why would you choose this? If you want red, I bought a red dial S/EL for half as much just a few days ago... and if you're looking at this and thinking 'Oooh, I want one of those', well I don't know what to tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment