Tuesday 8 December 2020

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 02T Tourbillon Japanese Limited Edition

 
CAR5A8D.EB0212

Apologies if you feel like you've seen this post before, it was posted accidentally (without text) a week or so ago and was eventually replaced by the 'All I want for Christmas' post.

Japan certainly loves its limited editions, and here's another one... the CAR5A8D is a 45mm, titanium cased Heuer 02T tourbillon with a list price of Y2546500 (about £18,900) and comes with not one but two straps; one regular black number and one funky camouflage (hence the unusual 'EB0212' nomenclature).


This piece is limited to 50 units and features the rose gold '160th Anniversary' rotor under the sapphire glass display back. Honestly I'm not at all keen on these rotors, but at least once it's on the wrist it will be out of sight, unlike the biege lume they've chosen to put on the hands. Sigh...


Can someone explain the logic of this to me? It's bad enough on 'vintage' inspired pieces but an 'Avant Garde', modernist tourbillon? I just don't understand... especially when the hour markers are plain white (save for a dab of biege at the outer edge). Maybe it's supposed to play off the rose gold on the tourbillon? Honestly I really don't know... but I know I don't like it.


To be fair, it looks a lot better in this photograph than it does in the renders, which is definitely the right way around - but I can't help but feel that the most interesting thing about this watch overall is the camouflage strap and that's not a good thing when you are spending this sort of money.

Having said all that, someone I know told me this was on their shortlist for 'Watch of the Year', so maybe it's not the misfire that I think it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment