Sunday 20 December 2020

INTERVIEW: Remo (Calibre 11 Forum Member)


Today we have another returning interviewee, all the way from beautiful Switzerland, it's Remo!

Hi Remo and welcome back to the TAG Heuer Enthusiast blog!

Hi Rob. First of all I would like to say, that I am feeling really honoured to be part of your project again. I appreciate your work very much, and I guess it takes a lot of time to accomplish all this.

Thank you Remo. It certainly is a lot of work and I rarely get to bed before midnight these days, but I guess you get out what you put in and I'm encouraged by the growth in views I'm seeing, so I guess I must be doing something right!

It goes without saying that it's been a strange year and one I think we'll all be glad to see the back of in a few days... but I have to say that overall, TAG Heuer seem to have had a decent year and they've managed to keep the excitement alive with some interesting new releases. So my first question for you is how you think TAG Heuer have done this year, have they excited you and have you been moved to make any purchases in 2020?

Yes, it wasn't an easy year at all. In difficult times it's important to have resources, to help us keep on truckin'! TAG Heuer for me is definitely one of those resources. But it's not only the watches themselves, it's the spirit that's transported through the brand and all it brings with it. Starting from slogans like 'Don't crack under pressure!' on to one of the coolest online-watch-communities (at Calibre11) and last but not least the uplift when you look at the craftsmanship and beauty of the watch on your wrist.

In my view they did some very good jobs with the new watches...and yes, they relieved my wallet in 2020 too. What I don't understand though, is that they launch so many different models every year. It impairs the value of the limited editions in my view. It would be interesting to know the numbers, but I guess that some of the regular models are sold only a few pieces until they leave the actual collection, so they would be unintentionally limited.

It's funny you mentioning how many pieces TAG Heuer release in a year, because I was just thinking how few it's actually been this year. I make it 43, but when they launched the Grand Carrera in 2008 there were over 40 different references of one model, so really they've reduced the number a lot over the last ten years...

They are going in the right direction then.... on the other hand we can't get enough of new stuff to talk about in the forum right? But sometimes I think it's a pity how fast the new releases lose the interest of the community; especially if there's another new piece, and another, and another. Maybe this is a good strategy for Swatch-watches. But for TAG Heuer, I have my doubts...


At the beginning of the year I was extremely drawn to the brown bronze Autavia WBE5191.FC8276. But at the same time I liked a Longines 1938 Military (Ref. L2.826.4.53.2) very much, which looks very similar to a pocketwatch from my grandfather. While I had been drawn between the two and could not decide, TAG Heuer announced the first Carrera anniversary release. I knew, that this would be something very special, but I was not sure if I would let go of the dream of the other two watches. I surely didn't want to spend money for all 3 watches in one year and in the end it was the 160th Carrera, but it was not so easy to get there.

Congratulations on your purchase, it's a future classic for sure and one that is held in extremely high regard on the Calibre 11 forum. But I think you had to sell something to get it didn't you? Something rather 'special'?

When the CBK221B was announced I told myself: Well, if I buy this, then I should get some extra input to my watchfunds. I had that Alec Monopoly F1 in the safe since it was released; I didn't wear it, because it was a pure 'collectors' watch in my view. I am not sure if I am a collector, but I realized that I want to wear the watches I own, at least from time to time. 

When I was younger I loved comics, so the watch spoke to me... but I am not sure if I understand what Alec wants to tell the world with his art. While following Alec Monopoly a bit on the social channels I also found his lifestyle a bit strange. As the time came that he seemed to leave the TAG Heuer building I made a deal with myself: I made a non-binding reservation for the Silver Carrera and put up the Alec F1 for sale at the same time. If I sold it before the Carrera was available, then I would get the Carrera. If not, I would keep the Alec F1 and maybe buy the Autavia or the Longines I mentioned before. When I finally sold the F1 I felt that sellers remorse which I only knew from hearsay before, all that is left now is a print of the watch... sometimes when I look at it, I get a bit remorseful.


Part of me feels bad about your 'seller's remorse', but then if you just kept it in a safe - what's the point? If that's the case I think you made the right move, as long as you don't keep the Carrera in the safe of course....

So, you got the silver Carrera, has it taken over from the Monaco limited edition or is too early to say?

It has absolutely taken over the Monaco 69-79 LE. I love the Monaco. But it's a very bold and eccentric watch. The Silver Carrera however is very elegant, understated and versatile. It's much easier to combine with any outfit. Both watches have very different faces depending on the surrounding light, which is fantastic. I am still wearing the Monaco and it gives me a lot of joy, but it doesn't get as much wrist-time as the Carrera.


I can understand that, it's one of my fears about buying a Monaco... it's such a particular watch, being square and quite large as well - would I actually wear it? Yours is particularly individual which is brilliant in one way, but you definitely wouldn't want it as your only watch.

So when we did our last interview the Monaco 50th Anniversary releases were still coming at us one by one, what did you make of the watches as a whole and do you still think you picked the right one?

I am happy with the watch I have, although it wasn't a real choice since I did my reservation for the first of the 5 watches quite some time before it was launched. I had no idea what the others would look like when I bought it. That's something I didn't like too much about how TAG Heuer approached the launch of those watches. I felt it's a bit unfair to hold back the information you need to have a real choice, if you're about to spend so much money on a watch. On the other hand they have to keep up the suspense and everything, so I guess they have to sacrifice transparency etc.

Maybe I could have kept it on hold until the end of the year. Or kept it in the safe and flipped it for another one, maybe even at the store/AD, if I would have asked for it. But in the end there was no other model following which would have made me want to exchange it. The red is the one I also like very much, but I think I wouldn't wear it much because it's so 'flashy'.

Yes, I can see both sides of that, it's tricky. I think if they had released them all together then 2 of them would have been totally overlooked (the last two), but at the same time I agree having to make the choice not knowing what the others were like was tough. And I agree the red Monaco is striking, but as Jim Dollares said in his interview, it is a little bit 'pretty girl on the red carpet'!

So was it an easy decision to go for the silver 160 Carrera, did you agonize over the Montreal or was it pretty clear cut?

It was obvious that after the Monaco I wanted something classic and timeless. The 'Montreal' would have been another quite salient watch. I have seen it in the metal and it's gorgeous. But even if it might be more special and attractive at first look, it might be a bit of a straw-fire. With the silver version I am expecting a long term relationship.

Well, I certainly hope it brings you many years of joy.


Turning our attention to a slightly more recent release, TAG Heuer have just released their second collaboration with Bamford Watch Department, the WAY208F Aquaracer which I think is quite possibly my favourite TAG Heuer of 2020. In our last interview I asked what you thought of Bamford and you gave a rather short, rather neutral answer... which kinda felt to me like you were being diplomatic. So... now that you've seen this new piece do you like it?

I don't like everything Bamford did, but this one is a hit!!!

As you might be aware, my first automatic TAG Heuer watch was my Aquaracer WAY2012.BA0927. I love that watch like on the first day. I like the steel bezel more than the ceramic (same with last years green dial by the way), it's more balanced in my view. I also have a sweet spot for the WAY208C.FC6383 since it came out; I like the orange details. And every time I see images of the 'Super Professional' I tell myself that maybe someday I will get one of those. I also like the titanium grey phantom Carrera Heuer 01. 

Now the new Bamford Aquaracer is a superhot combination of all of of these watches. Absolutely fantastic! I am very tempted to sell my Monaco to get one of these Aquaracers. Hahahaha!


Haha. Wow, well I wasn't expecting that... you would really sell your Monaco for a Bamfordracer? I mean, I think it's great...but that seems a bit like selling a Porsche to buy a BMW! 

No, I was only joking! The Monaco is a keeper of course. And I hope I will not become a flipper guy. But there are so many wonderful and cool watches out there. Most of them we can only talk about and look at the images online or maybe sometimes at the stores. So we always have to ponder about the next acquisition. And I don't think it's a matter of budget, if you collect PP or AP it's just another level.

Oh absolutely, I don't think it matters how high up the scale you go there's always something else to aim for, it's just bigger sums of money. Which is why I think if I won the lottery I would stick with TAG but just have hundreds of them. Hahaha...

Haha, yes, that's exactly my fear: that when I would hit the jackpot, I would buy every watch I've been drooling over for the last few years! 

Okay, before we leave the Monaco completely, I have a question to ask you. If you could only pick one between the current Calibre 11 blue dial and the Calibre 11 Gulf, which would it be?

If I had to pick one, I would take the blue classic Calibre 11, but if I won the lottery then I would take both! It's probably the most iconic watch of the brand with archaic legends surrounding it. In the shop where I bought my first TAG Heuer watch in 2016 (the Connected), there was a blue Calibre 11 on the display too. I remember my exact thoughts at that moment: "Wow, someday I will own one of these! Or wait, no, it would be too crazy to spend that money for a watch!"

If I only had known, where this was leading! Besides spending insane money on watches, now each time I have to cut my hair I show my hairdresser an image of Steve McQueen as a model for my desired haircut, hahaha!

Haha. Well that's taking it to extremes! Funnily enough I know someone who has just got one and he's very happy with it. It's a cool watch for sure, and so many people have it on their 'must have' list, but it doesn't resonate with me quite the same. I'm clearly out of step, but then that's nothing new... I'd rather have a quartz 4000 on a brightly coloured snakeskin strap, so what does that say about me?


So as we discovered last time around, you were sucked in to the world of TAG Heuer by the Connected smartwatch... something that doesn't get mentioned too much around these parts, mainly because I don't have one and I don't really know that much about it - though I'm sure to learn more when I interview Albert AMG again!

So are you still using the same 46mm Connected, is it still working properly and have you bought 308 straps like Albert?

Yes, I still use my first gen. Connected. The vibrating alert was defective after 6 months, so they sent me a completely new watch under guarantee. The replacement watch still works, but it doesn't have the 'Swiss engineered' engraving, which is a pity, because it made the first batch of the first Connected quite unique...

I don't think the strap can be exchanged simply on these watches....?

I bought myself a Quarz watch again recently. I think they are fun and nice and don't rip the budget so deeply. It's a bit like smoking cigarettes vs. cigars.

Oh, a new watch.... and what might that be?

It's the Dan Henry 1972. 1972 is my year of birth. The watch is limited to 1972 pieces, individually numbered. I'd rather have the original Orfina Porsche Design, or even better a Heuer Pasadena. But the price of the Dan Henry is just crazy.


At the same time I bought a Dan Henry 1939 for my father, which is of course his year of birth. I gifted it to him Last week for his birthday. He was very happy.

I like the concept of Dan Henrys watches, and his website is very informative.

That's a very nice looking watch indeed, and while I'm not usually as excited as most of the Calibre 11 forum with pre-TAG designs, I do like the Heuer Pasadena and the Porsche Design model and that bracelet is rather funky too! What a lovely idea to buy your Father a 'birthyear' watch for his birthday, sadly it's too late for me to do the same.

If I wasn't a one-make collector I think I'd be looking into that watch myself, it looks a lot more expensive than $350 that's for damn sure!

So, moving on, in our last interview you mentioned that you had written to (then TAG Heuer CEO) Jean Claude Biver about the non-availability of the original Connected in Switzerland and that you found Mr Biver to be very apologetic and kind. Of course Mr Biver has now taken up a different role within the group and been succeeded (twice) in the job of CEO.

The present chief is Mr Frederic Arnault, son of LVMH boss Bernard Arnault and I wonder if you were to write Mr Frederic a letter about the current state of the company (from a customer point of view) what would you like to tell him?

Yes, I was really surprised and touched when I received an answer from Mr. Biver. Back then I was really outraged that a Swiss watch was not available in Switzerland for the first months. In his reply Mr. Biver appreciated this view.

Today I don't feel a personal need to deliver a message to the Brand. I think they are all doing a great job right now. Maybe I would ask Mr. Arnault to let TAG Heuer use their developments for their watches, instead of transferring to other LVMH brands (e.g. the Zenith defy LAB), but maybe LVMH has merged the research/development departments?

I've read, that Mr. Arnault intends to develop a modernized Calibre11. I think this is an expression of an adequate attitude and I really hope that this will be valued from the watch community as well as commercially. 

But I doubt very much, that Mr. Arnault would be answering, if I sent a letter to him :).


Well, 2020 is creeping towards its climax and we're already starting to hear whispers of what might be on the cards next year, what are you hoping to see from TAG Heuer in 2021 and do you think you'll be adding to your collection again?

Right now I don't have something specific on my wishlist for next year. I will keep my eye on the second hand market for the watches I mentioned at the beginning of the interview; or maybe a bargain. But as Calibre 11 highlighted in its updated 'guidebook' how to avoid fake TAG Heuers (https://www.calibre11.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-tag-heuer/) everything but the AD will be a bit risky.

If the brand is keeping up like this year, I fear that I will break down and buy another watch. But it will probably be in the lower price range. If there will be another very limited edition F1 that appeals to me, e.g. a 35th anniversary 200 pieces LE, I might try to get one. The Alec Monopoly F1 was 200 pieces an the cost was little more than $1'000.-

Or if there would be a new smartwatch that can be used independent of a phone and with an inbuilt automatic/kinetic battery-charger-rotor, I'd be interested.

Apart from my personal buying plans I hope the brand will continue the good work with their watches and all the associated stories and products to keep us all enthusiastic over our wonderful hobby.

I like the idea of a 35th Anniversary Formula 1 very much, I really think the brand should show the Formula 1 range some love on its 35th birthday as it really is an integral part of the TAG Heuer story, every bit as much as the Carrera and Monaco if you ask me. However, I don't honestly think they will... which is a shame.

Changing tack a little bit, I remember in your last interview you told me that you had owned a 'TItanium' which you had some regrets about selling. It surprises me somewhat that there doesn't seem to be more enthusiasm for the 80s watches in the Calibre 11 forum, it really seems to be only me who gets excited about models like the Tristar, although there does seem to be a bit of a fan base for the 3000 series. Can you see yourself picking up some of those older pieces at some point, or maybe rebuying the Titanium?

Absolutely!

The divers from the 1000-series and the Super Professional are also nice watches, although the last one might be a bit too fat on the wrist. If I found a "Senna s/el" Ref. S25.706C in good condition I would of course be tempted, too.


Right now I am monitoring a Heuer 2000 Ref. 272.006 on an auction platform. It's a bit worn, and I am afraid the seconds hand is not original as well as the caseback. The movement is correct at least and I could buy the correct caseback on ebay.


Also there is a Heuer digital table clock on this auction-platform right now, which I am very tempted to buy.


Very nice! Well I wish you good luck with those and thank you for taking the time to talk to me again, I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have?

I have, but actually before I go, I'd like to ask you a couple of questions if I could?

Of course!

Well firstly, how did you get into TAG Heuer watches, or rather what was your first TAG Heuer watch; and are you still wearing it? Is it the F1 Kirium from 2004?

Yes it is, although... that was my first 'genuine' TAG Heuer. I did have an eBay fake before that, which I probably 'knew' was fake deep down, but I didn't know enough about watches or TAG Heuer to be sure. And when it stopped and I took it to my local watch shop they didn't want to touch it because it was a TAG Heuer and they told me I needed to take it to a TAG Heuer dealer, so that didn't help! Hahaha.

I really loved that watch, it had a great, white dial with some really nice detailing and a red jet fighter on the back end of the second hand. It said Swiss Air Force, or Swiss Army Watches or something on the back and I did once find the website. Then I knew it was fake... I wish I still had it, but it stopped working altogether and I slung it out I think.

Quite why I bought that I don't really know. I think maybe my wife bought her first real TAG Heuer before I did (a grey dial 2000, she still has it) so maybe it's her fault?


And after you did that crazy work in your blog of listing almost every reference ever produced by TAG Heuer, which single watch would you acquire if money was no object? 

That's quite easy actually, there's one watch which stands out to me above all others and that is one that I briefly caught sight of in the TAG Heuer Museum. I would love to have seen it running, but of course it was under glass and there just wasn't time even if it was allowed. I speak of the 'Flying 1000' which is just astonishing in both it's horological performance and it's aesthetics. I don't even know how much it actually costs, but I know I can't afford one. The question for me though is would I feel comfortable wearing it and indeed would I actually wear it if I had one?

Anyway, once again, thank you Remo for taking the time to talk to us and hopefully we will get a chance to do this again in 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment