Monday 2 November 2020

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Tristar Quartz Watch

 

954.413

This is another one of those eBay tales that could have been a huge disappointment had luck not intervened... I found this a few days ago with a starting bid of £150 and I got rather excited because spectacularly ugly as it is, there's something about the Tristar that appeals to me. Maybe it's because it looks like it was designed to be worn by a Soviet General, I really don't know... but I would like one, despite its obvious shortcomings (not least of which is the puny handset that looks completely out of place).


Admittedly the clasp looks like it needs some attention, but I was more concerned that the bracelet looks a lot like the one on my 3000 Series and knowing that availability of links for these is so scarce I contacted the seller to enquire about the wrist size it could accommodate. The next morning I got a polite response telling me that it was just over 8" plus the diving extension and that was me thoroughly invested and ready to bid.


Perhaps a little too invested, since I completely forgot to check the simplest of details, like the part number! This photo convinced me the watch was all good, I knew it would be on the smaller side because my 3000s are only about 38mm, again completely forgetting that watches generally look bigger in 'wristshots' than they do in real life.

Fortunately I was talking to a fellow enthusiast about my potential purchase and he sent me some info which had the part number in large text at the top of the page, drawing my attention to it.... hmm. 954.413.


For those not au fait with the TAG Heuer numbering system of the 80s and early 90s, it went like this:

Last two numbers - 08: Ladies watch
Last two numbers - 15: Large ladies watch
Last two numbers - 13: Boy's watch
Last two numbers - 06: Man's / full size watch

In my excitement and haste, I had overlooked the fact that this watch was actually a 'boys' watch, which I would estimate would be 34 or 35mm. Granted I am perfectly fine wearing a 34mm resin cased Formula 1, but that is because a) there are no larger options and b) the straps with the TAG Heuer shields on them seem to make those watches wear slightly larger than they are, perhaps also the colours help in this regard as well. 


As it happened a couple of days before the auction ended someone placed a bid, so I knew I wasn't going to get it for £150, and once I realised that the watch was smaller than I thought I started to look at it in a different light. Though I was relieved that my friend sent me the info that prevented another 'smaller than expected' purchase (oh yes, that has happened before!) I was also rather disappointed that I wasn't going to be adding a Tristar to my collection after all...

I guess the price should have been a red flag, but excitement and enthusiasm nearly got the better of me again - it just shows that sometimes a second pair of eyes on a potential purchase can be a very good thing indeed! In the end the watch had two bids and sold for £186, so I'm guessing if I had bid it would have gone into the low £200s... a bargain for an '06', but not for a '13' that would always be a little bit too small.

--- --- ---


I thought I found another TriStar on eBay a week later, but it turned out to be the exact same watch being re-sold (that scuffed up clasp is a dead giveaway). The seller took some better pictures and was upfront about the size, but wanted £299 for it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tag-Heuer-Professional-tri-star-Rare-Model-Boxed/313279311367

No comments:

Post a Comment