Monday 16 November 2020

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Formula 1 'Carbon Effect Dial' Quartz Chronograph

CAZ101AC.BA0842

TAG Heuer Boutique / Meadowhall, Sheffield, 17th Aug 2020

This was probably the new release that I was most looking forward to seeing up close and personal and while it didn't disappoint me exactly, it certainly didn't grab me by the throat and thoroughly convince me to buy it like I hoped it might. It didn't help that the salesman misheard me and pulled out the bracelet version instead of the rubber strap model that I was hoping to try... but once he'd pulled it out of the cabinet I figured I'd better just go with it since I was going to be trying on quite a few pieces here today and I didn't want to rub him up the wrong way from the start what with them having to sanitize each piece before putting them back!

Strangely, my first reaction to the watch once I got it on the wrist was that it looked 'small', which was odd because at 43mm it isn't and in fact it was exactly the same size as the Aquaracer I was wearing. I can only assume it's an illusion caused by the bright yellow chapter ring against the carbon effect dial, which appears slightly thicker than it really is from some angles because it is reflected in the polished recess that surrounds it. 


You may be surprised to learn that the watch has a ceramic bezel (a step in the right direction for sure), which means you don't have to worry about those pesky scratches. On the other hand it does add to the cost of ownership; this one is currently listed on the TAG Heuer website at £1650, which is £200 more than the new Formula 1 Red Bull Special Edition. On the plus side, when this eventually turns up on Watchfinder pre-owned in a few years at least the bezel won't be scratched up...!


The carbon fibre textured dial (as opposed to 'carbon fibre' dial, an important distinction as the dial is not made from carbon fibre but merely patterned to resemble the lattice weave of layered carbon) looks great and all round the watch is very bold, colourful and rather 'in your face' which is exactly what a TAG Heuer Formula 1 watch should be.

It is perhaps the Formula 1 'Senna' for those with no interest in Ayrton Senna (there are some, apparently), as it carries a similar aura with that bright yellow chapter ring and the carbon fibre dial screams 'motor racing'... come to think of it I don't think there's ever been a 'Senna' watch with a carbon fibre dial, at least not under the TAG Heuer banner (believe it or not for a period of time the 'Senna' name was licensed to other brands besides TAG Heuer before returning to the brand that Ayrton actually wore in 2015), but of course I could be wrong - please let me know in the comments!

CAZ101AC.FT8024

Going in to this I honestly believed that the CAZ101AC was going to be my next watch, but it just didn't trigger that 'got to have it' feeling in my wallet pocket. I don't think it was because I tried on the bracelet version either, although the woeful pressed clasp (yes, that again) didn't help matters. It seems slightly incongruous that they have upgraded the bezel to a ceramic but left in place this penny pinching eyesore, and this on a watch that cost £1650. Truthfully that clasp shouldn't be on any watch costing more than £400, sure it 'works' but it conveys zero feeling of luxury and like the plastic movement holders that TAG Heuer insist on using are an unnecessary own goal providing easy pot shots for the TAG haters out there on the internet.

Having said all that, looking at these pictures the watch still tempts me to give it a second look. Maybe once this current lockdown is over and the shops are open once again, I need to to do just that? And this time I will make sure I try it on the rubber strap, as I intended in the first place.


CAZ101AC.BA0842 on the TAG Heuer website

CAZ101AC.FT8024 on the TAG Heuer website


No comments:

Post a Comment