Tuesday 10 November 2020

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 'Mother of Pearl' Japanese Special Edition

 
CBK2116.BA0715

While TAG Heuer are prone to using mother of pearl dials on a lot of their watches, the vast majority of those pieces are ladies models, but this black MOP dial is not without precedent, indeed I was lucky enough to try on a previous version (CV201P-0) of this watch at the TAG Heuer Bicester Village outlet back in July 2018.

I was pretty impressed with that one, and this one looks even better in just about every way possible. I much prefer the less fussy bracelet, and I like that the dial is less fragmented without the inner circle utilised on the CV201P. I've tried on a blue dial version of this Carrera and I was very enamoured with the elegant styling, and of course I am a sucker for the Calibre 16 with its 6-9-12 strangely attractive, if asymmetric subdial layout. 


Costing 555,500 Yen (approximately £4100) the CKB2116 is technically a 'Special Edition' but is in fact limited to just 500 pieces... as always, it's hard to fathom TAG Heuer's use of 'Special' and 'Limited' edition, with some 'Limited Editions' not being limited to any particular number and some 'Special Editions' having definite quantities. If anyone can give a definitive explanation I would love to hear it!


While I'm sure the black mother of pearl dial won't be to everyone's taste, I must admit I do rather enjoy it. It seems like a nice way to go a bit 'decadent' without resorting to a diamond bezel, and I can well imagine this dial capturing one's attention at any time of the day.

The watch looks pretty big in this wrist shot, but it's actually only 41mm which is the same size as the CV201P-0, and that one seemed to wear a good bit smaller than that despite the fairly substantial case thickness. 

All in all it looks like a winner in my book though it's a pity that it's limited to the Japanese market. I guess TAG Heuer know from experience what sells where, but I bet if they put one or two in the Oxford Street boutique they would sell easily enough. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for them to arrive at Bicester Village in a few years... maybe I should start saving now?


On the Wrist post for the CV201P-0.BA0794:

The TAG Heuer CKB2116.BA0715 on the TAG Heuer website:

No comments:

Post a Comment