Sunday 3 October 2021

ON THE WRIST: Bell & Ross BR05 Automatic Watch

BR05A-BLU-ST/SST

Ernest Jones / Milton Keynes, 13th September 2021

Entering an entirely empty Ernest Jones today I was presented with two choices; either talk to the man who two years ago told me that the 'Omega Dark Side of the Moon: Apollo 8' didn't have a date because 'there is no date in space...' or talk to Charlotte. I chose Charlotte and was very glad I did as she was interesting to talk to, friendly and generally excellent - I only wish I could have bought a watch from her! Unfortunately today was only window shopping... 

Charlotte showed me two watches today, this striking Bell & Ross BR-05 and a Breitling Endurance Pro (which I will talk about another time). If I'm 100% honest, I chose the Breitling because I really liked it and this one because I thought it would make for an 'easy' target. I mean look at it. Have you ever seen such a stupid looking watch in all your days? Hmm?


It's been quite a long time since I last strapped a Bell & Ross timepiece around my wrist; 2017 to be precise, when I tried on a couple of their traditional 'square' pieces. I remember that I really liked them but the prices were a little out of my comfort zone (pushing £3000) and I wasn't 100% sure if I really liked them or if I just 'appreciated' the unusual aesthetic choices. I was also a bit dubious as to how wearable they actually were and if they would lose a ton of money as soon as I walked out of the store.

Fast forward a few years and Bell & Ross seem to have come up the ranks somewhat and now they don't seem like such a random brand. But still my brief dalliance with Bell & Ross came to nothing and then my TAG Heuer collection blossomed and nothing else really got a look in. So that was it for me and Bell & Ross until today, when I finally took another look at what they have to offer. 


So yes, I was looking in the window, slightly underwhelmed by the selection and rolling my eyes at the Bremont display; I mean who actually cares about Bremont really (apart from George Russell). That's a brand with ideas above their station if ever there was one. And then my eyes fell on the BR-05 and I let out a slight chuckle. Here is a watch worth talking about, I thought, what a minger... but to be fair to it, the blue dial was nice, much nicer than the black dial. And so that's what I chose.

Charlotte brought the BR-05 from out of the window and placed it in front of me on the mat next to my Aquagraph. Oh, so actually it's not all that bad after all. I picked it up and had a closer look at that blue dial. Hmm. Not crazy about the Arabic numerals, but the blue is very nice. The watch feels well made too, it has a solidity about it that is very reassuring even if that huge 'bezel' is sure to be a big old scratch magnet.


You know, I've said it before and I'll say it again, photos and videos are all very well but they cannot hope to compare with looking at watches in person. This watch looked a bit crappy in the window and yet once it was around my wrist I had a totally different opinion of it. I must admit I'm not totally sold on the crown, it looks a bit tiddly and like an afterthought really... and I'm still not 100% sure about the odd shape of the case - but I appreciate the uniqueness of it.

The case is 40mm, so just slightly larger than a Monaco, but I would say it feels a bit smaller than a Monaco: probably due to the rounded off corners and stepped case/bezel design. Plus of course because the dial is round it gives the impression of being smaller than it really is. I must admit I'm not overly keen on the bracelet, but it also appears well made and nicely finished - as it should be for £4300. I'm just not keen on that Nautilus style, which is clearly what this is supposed to be channelling.


I do find it fascinating how watches can give one impression in pictures, one impression in the window and yet another on the wrist. It just goes to show what I've always said about online watch shopping not being a viable situation. Yes if you already have a Formula 1 and you want to buy another one then probably a video and some pics are enough, but if you are looking at something completely new I really don't think you can get a good enough understanding of it just from looking at a website.

Thankfully it doesn't seem like the watch world is turning it's back on physical stores anytime soon, both Lyons and Beaverbrooks were in the process of setting up new stores in the MK Centre, although to honest Lyons looked brand new anyway (half of it being given over to a Rolex boutique with about eight watches in it - all two tone, mostly ladies). Nice to see Hublot on offer in Milton Keynes as well, I think that's the first time I've ever seen them outside of London.

The BR-05 was a pleasant surprise too, especially since I've never really liked it since it was launched. It's a funny game the watch world, just when you think you know your own mind, something comes along and throws everything up in the air... but while I do like it, I think if I was looking to blow £4000 on a blue dial watch I'd probably go with a Calibre 16 Carrera instead.

For more information on the BR-05 please click the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment