Monday 31 January 2022

BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer 2000 Series Quartz

974.006

It will probably come as no great surprise that my purchase of this watch coincided with my research for my 'History of the 2000 Series' post. Yes, once again, rifling through catalogues and staring at images of countless 2000s spurred me back to eBay, where I found a surprising amount of these in wildly varying states of repair.

Mine came from the UK and was listed for about £349 or so IIRC. I watched it but wasn't entirely sure about it, until the seller dropped the price to £299 which convinced me to click 'Buy' and I haven't regretted it since. 


Admittedly it isn't in what you might call 'pristine' condition, it does have a few minor signs of wear... like a few little marks on the glass and a bit of stretching to the bracelet and the join between the end links and the bracelet. But the silver aluminium bezel insert is in surprisingly good order as are the dial and hands.

The case has a little ding near the bottom left lug, but nothing serious and while the top edge of the steel bezel has lost most of its gold plating, the sides remain intact.


One thing I really love about these old TAG Heuer watches from the late 80s is how big they printed the TAG Heuer logo on the dial. I love it on my steel 3000 Series and while it's not quite as striking here because it's black on gold rather than white on dark grey, it still stands out nicely.

It's funny, I always thought the dial inserts on these 2000s were white, but they are actually silver, they just look white in photographs...


Well, this brings my little collection of 2000 Series to five pieces (eight if you count the 2000 Exclusives), but already there's another one on the way to me; seems like I just can't get enough of these watches at the moment. And really, if you would like to start a collection of TAG Heuer watches I do think some kind of 2000 is fairly essential. More than that if you wanted to start a collection of 2000 Series watches there's plenty to go at and they are available, affordable and varied enough to be more than just a collection of different dial colours.

Click the link below to visit my 'History of the 2000 Series' post:

No comments:

Post a Comment