Wednesday 12 July 2023

OWNED: TAG Heuer Formula 1 'Orange Dial' Quartz Watch

 
WAZ101A.FC8305

TAG Heuer's relentless release schedule has really put pressure on my ability to post about things other than the latest releases (I'm posting this to give me some breathing space, expect 'First Impression's posts thick and fast from here on out), so with that in mind I am making a conscious effort to make time to write about older watches, especially the ones that I own. So with that said, today I'd like to focus on my orange dial Formula 1 quartz WAZ101A, which I bought in April 2021 (which I've just realised means that it's now out of warranty). 

Like all current Formula 1 models though, it is quite a big watch at 43mm, so it's not for everyone - but I think the logic goes that the generic Formula 1 customer is young and probably wants the world to know they have an expensive watch. I don't have a problem wearing larger watches, but I can see why people with smaller wrists might wish for a 40/41mm alternative. And while I can't really see why TAG Heuer couldn't offer a choice of identical watches in two (or even three sizes), my guess would be that if we could ask TAG Heuer they would tell us that of course they could make them, but the 43mm would outsell the smaller sizes to the point that it's not worth bothering. 


Ownership didn't get off to the best start as I had to send my WAZ101A back within the first month because the date wasn't sitting in the date window properly... and I was somewhat taken aback when they quoted me to repair it. I mean the watch had only just come out so it couldn't possibly be out of warranty, surely they should have known that?

Anyway, they eventually agreed it was still under warranty, but they still quoted me to replace the strap because I had removed the awful metal strap retainers and replaced them with rubber ones. This was an attempt to make the woeful nylon strap they supplied with the watch comfortable, but it was to no avail and within a couple of months I gave up and bought the perforated rubber strap you get on several current F1s. 


The rubber strap is okay, it's comfortable but I don't really like it and I don't think it looks that amazing with the orange. If TAG Heuer make a new F1 with the current F1 rubber strap (as seen on the Red Bull, etc) available in black then I will buy one, for sure. The original strap looks really cool, but it is unwearable in my opinion. I have never worn anything so irritating, I tried everything bar sticking plasters on the inside... maybe I should try that? But even then you've still got those dreadful, sharp strap retainers...

Well, if I ever sell my WAZ101A someone will get a mint strap with it, that's for sure... and it's not just me, I know lots of others have the same problems and I haven't noticed TAG Heuer bringing out any more of these straps (aside from the lime/grey F1 chrono which came out around the same time) so hopefully they've got the message. 

One thing I wish was slightly different is that the spaces between the holes in the rubber strap could be slightly closer. Maybe they are 'standard' but I seem to either get a too loose or too tight fit with it, and when it's loose the watch tends to drift back so it sits pointing slightly away from me, which is a little annoying.


The textured dial is great though, and the orange is the perfect shade. Not too dark, not too light. And the black edged markers and hands are the icing on the cake. This was the main issue for me with the orange Aquaracer; aside from the dial being too light in my opinion, using polished hands and hour markers just meant they reflect the orange from the dial and effectively 'disappear', leaving the hour markers looking like small spots of lume and as a result the dial looks too big and rather empty to me. To be fair, I've got used to it over time, but I still prefer the overall aesthetic of the F1. 

I could live without the polished case sides, but then I guess if you are going 'entry-level' then this is what you get. The left side of mine has several scratches, way more than any other watch I own, but sure they could be polished out if I really wanted to have it done. 


I seem to have got lucky with my WAZ101A as regards the second hand hitting every mark perfectly - which is nice, but probably more a chance win than anything. I know my wife's green Aquaracer is way off in this regard, and when I looked into it the conclusion I gathered from the internet was that cheaper watches tend to be more accurately assembled since they are more likely to be built by a machine! 

I still think the TAG Heuer logo on the dial is a bit faint; it could have been printed just a little thicker since it's quite hard to read it against the rich orange. But that's a minor quibble. I guess they didn't want to use the red/green on the orange background, which I can understand... but maybe it could have been printed white, that might have looked better?


There's no sign of any wear to the ceramic bezel and all the inlaid paint is still intact. Unlike the dial logo the printing on the bezel is extremely bold, maybe even a little too bold, but then again moaning about the printing being too bold on a bright orange watch is a bit ludicrous. 

And speaking of that bold orange dial, never have I known a watch so impossible to photograph. Not only does the uncoated glass make it difficult to get a reflection free shot, but rarely if ever does the camera ever capture the actual colour of the watch. Just moving the watch in front of the camera turns it from deep orange to an almost dark yellow, none of which truly represents what you see on the wrist. In reality it has an almost 'day-glow' vibe, but it's deeper and more 'solid' than any day-glow colour I've ever seen.


Full marks for TAG Heuer on the dial of this one, a pass on the case and bezel and a hard fail on the strap. Still, if you're going to mess something up on a watch, the strap is undoubtedly the way to go... at least it can be switched out. 

As I was writing this it came to my attention that the WAZ101A F1 is now discontinued, so it's your last chance to pick one up brand new from an authorised dealer. I've seen a few on offer lately, presumably making way for whatever comes next, and you can pick them up for around what I paid for mine two years ago (about £1200 - they've since gone up to £1400).

Okay, that's it for this time, hopefully the next post will be the beginning of a stream of 'First Impressions' posts so I can get us back up to date!


BUYING EXPERIENCE POST FOR THE WAZ101A:

No comments:

Post a Comment