Saturday 29 July 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 02 'French' Limited Edition Chronograph

CBN201B.FC6541

Okay so this is the last in this ridiculous run of 'First Impressions' posts, but don't get too complacent because there's three more new releases currently being assessed by the tirelessly vigilant Council of Considered Opinion (those being the red/pink dial ladies Aquaracer, the blue dial Solargraph and of course the new limited edition Heuer Monaco that came out a few days ago).

So what do we have here then? Looks pretty sweet doesn't it? Yes, it's another one of those 42mm Carrera Chronographs with the white rehaut and (this time) subdials. Unfortunately it's only available to people living in France (I tried putting it in the basket on the TH website and changing my country and it took it right out again... ) and while it's sitting there right now I shouldn't imagine it will be for too much longer given that there are only 200 examples available.


Yep, that's right, they done gone and done it again. First it was the Chronotempvs Carrera and now this; two superb looking pieces restricted to a very tiny number, and in this case by geography! Crazy. It's not like other countries don't have blue, white and red on their flags y'know. Because yes, that is how the colour scheme for this watch has come about - the tricolour of France, albeit it's rather subtle in it's execution... which admittedly is a good thing, no one wants a watch with a literal representation of the flag on the dial. Instead they've settled for some red accents, which leave the watch looking classy and understated, but still eye-catching enough...


I believe there are ways to get one outside of France, since an American gentleman on the THF Forum has already taken delivery; beats me though. Incidentally, you may have seen a video I posted a couple of weeks back featuring this watch... you've probably forgotten since it wasn't terribly helpful. It would be great to see a proper close up video or at least an actual photograph, but as it stands all we seem to have available to look at is the renders from the website.

And I know enough that I would never buy a watch from renders alone, even.... or maybe especially one that looks this good. Oh well, we will wait patiently and hopefully by Christmas some real life shots will emerge, for now it's over to the Council.





9/10: "Beautiful and well balanced. This Carrera elegant lives up to its name."

9.5/10: "I also saw the actual watch, and it was very attractive, with white bezels and the same hands as Monaco in the design making it look like a retro look. If I hadn't bought another limited edition Carrera, I would have bought this one."

9.5/10: "Quite beautiful. Without the running seconds I’d give it a 10/10 Unfortunately it has, so downgraded to a 9.5/10 viva la France."

8/10: "This would have been a 10/10, but I’m deducing one point for the ridiculous price (6350 EUR with Doux and Lepage) and another one because I would have preferred a silver running second second and a red chrono second - so smack the opposite of what they’ve done."

8/10: "C’est tres bon (one of the most convincing elegants I’ve seen, I could buy this. Still a shame about the need for running seconds, but this wears it better than most)."

8/10: "This has to be one the best releases ever. I'm not even looking at the Australian RRPs of TAG's watches now, otherwise I would score them all 0/10. 8/10 for me since this should still be a 41mm diameter, the 42mm is too big. Also, I agree about the second hand and chrono hand colour choice. Strange decision."

8/10: "I agree its nice and all but 42 is not my size. Love the colorways though."

6/10: "Solid 7 from me. Cross hair seconds will never stop bothering me. Make it a proper sub dial or remove that shit entirely. I also wish the dial would be blue, not black that looks almost blue in certain light. Ok you know what, my score is a 6 now when I think some more about it."

8/10: "One of the best modern Tag Heuers I've seen. Too big for me though..."

8.5/10: "I am proper liking this one! There’s just something special about those think red lines on the hands, subdial hand and 12 marker. The dial looks like it will look cool in direct sunlight too, due to how much light it will absorb to show the texture. Love the strap too, although can’t decide if a red backing showing through the holes would look better or worse."

8/10: "I think this one looks great, and the blue grained dial, red accents, and strap look fantastic together. It is a shame that it is a limited edition of 200 pieces for France."

8.5/10: "Breton blue. Nice colour. This watch shines like a proud Frenchman!"

8/10: "I think this is one of the best “Elegant Carrera” versions up to now. It's a pity it's a limited edition of just 200 pcs, because it should be a permanent model in the range." 

7.5/10: "Wow, this looks good, love the strap as well. It's great with the dial."

5/10: "Another winning design just trashed by the unnecessary running seconds. This is really starting to become a big problem with TAG’s chronograph designs."

8/10: "Well done, the Elegant Carrera’s are evolving into some great designs. Hopefully they come out with a similar design but as a regular production piece."

7/10: "A nice proper Carrera. But I really wish TAG would use off-white on their reverse pandas, instead of the silver on this one and the 39mm glassbox. The WOS Panda is still my favorite Carrera Elegant, followed by the blue Porsche RS 2.7, and then this France edition."

9/10: "Really beautiful."

8.5/10: "Well done TAG this is lovely. That textured blue dial plus the crisp white chapter ring & sub dials work wonderfully together. Along with the little hits of red, beautiful It definitely says French to me and I like it a lot."


Link to French Website: CCBN201B.FC6541

No comments:

Post a Comment