Saturday 15 July 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Ladies 'Green Dial' Calibre 9 Watch

 
WBP2415.BA0622

Okay, here's the plan; starting today and for the next two weeks I will be posting a new 'First Impressions' post every other day, and then hopefully we will be in a reasonable state of up-to-date-ness. Unless TAG Heuer decide to release another six watches this month of course, which is entirely possible! 

So, let's start with this new take on the fumé dial 30mm Aquaracer, which is obviously meant to complement the incomparable WBP2115 that I bought a few months ago. Once again I have already seen this on my visit to the TAG Heuer boutique back in June and I have to say it didn't look quite as expected.


You may notice that these new ladies Aquaracer are wearing polished bezels now, and I believe the blue and brown/black ones are going to get them too. I can see why they think it's a good idea as it does make them look a bit more feminine, but personally I think I prefer the brushed bezels. I don't have a problem with the older Aquaracers with the polished bezels; my wife has the 'Swiss Watchmaking' Aquaracer with the names of Swiss towns all over the dial and that has a polished bezel and it looks great. But these... no.


I also found the green a slightly odd colour and as someone in the comments pointed out, perhaps the diamonds are a tad too big for the dial. My wife (who is an actual woman) was incredulous that anyone could think any diamonds were ever too big and she also loved the green so really what does my opinion matter? I think if my wife didn't already own the previous generation green Aquaracer she would have strongly considered buying this one, although she much prefers quartz watches to automatics and quite honestly I don't blame her one bit. She only owns one automatic and that's the only (new) watch she's ever had to repair, an ETA 2824 in her Oris Autelier Skeleton, or as you might know it the Calibre 5...


For me the blue is still the nicest of the 30mm Aquaracers, especially with the gold bezel insert. I'd love her to get that one, but at £4400 it's a big commitment and one she doesn't want to make. Also, I have to say the black/brown ladies Aquaracer with the rose gold insert really works too, much better than the steel equivalent.

Just before I finish, it's unclear whether the polished bezels are worldwide or just for the UK, I got the impression from the lady in the Oxford Street boutique that this is something that has been requested by the UK market, would be interested to know if you are seeing these polished bezels outside the UK.

Okay, let's find out how interested the C.O.C.O. were in reviewing this ladies watch...!





5/10: "I don’t like diamonds on the dial, and I don’t like this polished bezel in an Aquaracer."

2/10: "The wife gives it a 2/10. She doesn't like the shade of green and the black edges of the dial. She also doesn't like the polished bezel and feels the watch is too small. The entire look is very unappealing for her, she initially was going to give it a 0/10."

4/10: "Bezel makes it look like it's ceramic."

8/10: "Firstly, why do they insist on losing dial texture and adding diamonds for “ladies” watches? They’re missing out big time. More importantly, this is a solid piece in my opinion. Love the colour and agree that the diamonds do work on this occasion."

7/10: "It works. And it's a welcome change from mother of pearl dial."

5/10: "This feels like the horological equivalent of a “direct to video” movie release (back in pre-streaming days…): “direct to outlet”. Looks like a particularly lazy attempt at a woman’s diver ("Just make it smaller and shinier")."

8/10: "This is a really lovely ladies version of the green aquaracer. The diamond hour markers really pop against the smoke green dial. And the dial itself is just stunning! Can't fault this watch, it's a really stunning ladies watch. Beautiful."

5/10: "Nice strong green, but diamonds on the dial, no ta, polished bezel looks marked as does the bracelet."

8/10: "Just based on the aesthetics of it, it appears to be a very nice piece. I think the darker edge of the dial works well with the bezel, and the green is a nice shade."

7/10: "The green is very nice."

7/10: "Goes with my eyes."

8/10: "I really like the British bling bezel. Diamonds pop beautifully on that green dial, a very nicely executed ladies piece."

4/10: "Ladies Aquaracers don't make a great impression."

7/10: "I asked my wife, who has a similar Aquaracer. She thinks the diamonds are disproportionally big for the size of watch but she likes the green dial."

No comments:

Post a Comment