Wednesday 11 July 2018

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Pilot Watch 530.806

530.806

I've seen this 80's TAG Heuer pilot's watch before, but the more I look at it the more I feel like I really, really want one. I've always kinda liked the Breitling Navitimer, but it's always been a very retro looking watch, and I'm not really a retro kind of guy. This one doesn't really look retro at all (to me anyway), indeed it's a much cleaner design and maybe that's partly because it's on a bracelet rather than the usual leather strap you'd expect on a Navitimer. Also, while it does have a Navi-esque bezel edge, it seems far less noticeable.

I came across this particular example on eBay, where the asking price is a shade over £900. I've found another one that sold on My Tag for just £670, which makes this one look expensive, but actually I don't think I'd object to paying £900 for this piece, regardless of the actual market value.


Last time I mentioned this one on the blog I said it was 44mm, but the seller of this one has it down as 42.5mm, so it's possible that 44mm could have included the crown. Either way it's a decent size and would suit me down to the ground, the only problem is that the seller is in Japan - and that means import taxes. Also, the bracelet is only just over 7" long, so again I would need more links and I have no idea what bracelet this would come on...

Alongside the no doubt baffling slide-rule bezel, the watch has a 1/10sec quartz chrono, the 1/10 second subdial being at the top right, the bottom subdial is the running seconds by the look of it and the chrono hours are top left. The watch has two chrono hands - seconds and minutes, much like many of the quartz Aquaracer chronographs you see about (and indeed my Aquagraph).


The only thing I'm not overly sold on is that oddly square and very protruding crown guard. It's most noticeable on the top picture and I do wonder if that wouldn't stick into my wrist... that's one reason I'd really like to try it on before I buy if at all possible. But what are the chances of finding it in a shop? Probably not great. I could ask Watchfinder to search for one for me, but they obviously won't source for me without a commitment to buy, so that doesn't help much...


Actually, while I've been writing this I have managed to find one in the UK! Not only that but it's in a jewellers with a shop that I could visit (albeit it's about six hours there and back...) but they want £1500 for it (with a two year guarantee). That seems a trifle over the odds to me, albeit I'm not really sure what the true market value is. I'd have no problem paying £900, but £1500 for a 25+ year old watch, I'm not so sure. I think I'll have to try and do some more research and see if they are being reasonable or not. It's a beautiful watch though, whatever the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment