Sunday 15 July 2018

SPOTLIGHT ON: Formula One Quartz Chronograph 'Senna' Special Edition

CAZ1015.BA0883

Long time readers may remember my 'Top 5 Monacos' post, which eventually became my 'Top 6 Monacos' when I realised I had left out a really obvious one... so you may not be completely surprised to hear that I may have made the same mistake again! Yesterday a friend / fellow TAG Heuer enthusiast emailed me to tell me that he'd taken the plunge and bought himself one of these beauties, and of course having it drawn to my attention I realised that this really should have been on my list. So damn, I need to rectify that at some point!

I think what really sets this one apart and really lifts it up way above many similar 1/10th of a second chrono F1s is the 'Link' style strap. I really like the Link bracelet, but I'm struggling to find a Link I can get on board with (not strictly true, but all the ones I like are £2500 or more) so this may well be something that could kill two birds with one 'relatively affordable' stone...


In fact, thinking about it, this piece seems to combine the best parts of the 'Aston Martin' and 'Black Bull' watches for me, and who doesn't like red detailing on a black dial/bezel? And didn't I say that those other Senna F1s would have looked better without the red hands? I think this watch is making that point pretty clearly... true this one doesn't have the red stripes and the reverse bezel, but I can definitely live without that in exchange for that lovely bracelet.

I mean, I really liked the Heuer 01 Senna I tried on earlier in the year, but that was a whole heap of money - and I still have concerns about the coating on a black bracelet holding up over time, but this is about a quarter of the price. Yes it's quartz, but it's only 2mm smaller and you're still getting that Link-style band. Damn, I'm getting seriously into this one... I need to see one up close.

Kind of looks like an old school Aquaracer clasp, but that bracelet looks tip-top to me...

Well this has certainly given me food for thought, not least of which I wonder if it's possible to fit this bracelet to the Red Bull F1? I thought the end links were standard F1, but seeing this shot from the back puts serious doubts in my mind about that - see the V shapes coming away from the case, are they part of the case of just the end links? I shall endeavour to find out...

Mocked up Red Bull Link bracelet combo

What about that... I'd buy that in a heartbeat. So if it is possible, that might be a lovely way to blow my TAG fund! I could get the watch pre-owned for about £900, and the bracelet would be I guess... £250, something like that? Maybe £300... sure looks a mighty nice watch for £1200. But failing that, I'm still more than open to a CAZ1015 in my immediate future!

No comments:

Post a Comment