Tuesday 10 July 2018

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer S/EL Quartz Chronograph Two Tone

CG1125

I've never been a big fan of gold or two tone watches, but if there's one watch that works in those colour schemes it's the S/EL. It plays to it's 80s retro styling, be it full gold, steel and gold or the even more abrasive and in your face black and gold.

So I was quite excited to find this on the 'Cash Converters' website of all places... and actually they have rather a lot of TAGs for sale (at least 50 when I looked), including a pink dial Alter Ego for less than £300. So go on, how much do you think this was up for?


£399...

So what's the catch? Well, by their own admission the gold is a little bit worn, but that's not unusual on these watches. The case is 38mm, so it's a little on the small side, but still works for a lot of guys... my 6000 is 38mm and that is my lower limit, so I could have lived with it for that price.

But the killer is the bracelet. James at Cash Converters sent me a quick email reply to my enquiry telling me that the bracelet measures 145mm. Some 50mm smaller than I need... which means this watch is sized to less than 6". James reckons that it would fit an average wrist, but to me that is wide of the mark to say the least.

Now I don't know if you are familiar with link prices on eBay, but anything with any kind of gold on it is at least £50, and I'd need four/five links - if I could find them! Which means the watch is suddenly going to stick me for £600+ and doesn't look quite the bargain I first thought.


It's a proper shame and I can't help but wonder if James has got his tape measure round the wrong way because looking at the bracelet, it doesn't look unduly short. I mean 145mm is tiny, and makes me wonder - if it is correct, was this watch previously owned by a woman? At 38mm it's not massive for a woman's wrist and it's half gold... so maybe it was. I just hope they haven't committed the cardinal sin of trading this in to buy a Michael Kors 'Daytona'.


It's a pity that the watch is 2.5hrs away in Enfield (within the M25) otherwise I'd go and have a look for myself. But alas I fear that as my wrist is rather larger than most, even if James has got it wrong (and I really think he might have), it's very unlikely to fit me.


Here's a link to Cash Converters selection of TAG Heuers... they do offer 14 day returns and they say they check their items against police records to ensure you aren't buying stolen goods. But at the end of the day they aren't a watch dealer, so I would treat them like you'd treat a personal sale, or an eBay auction.


Worth a look though, believe it or not they've got one of those rare Japanese black mother of pearl dial Carreras for sale...




No comments:

Post a Comment