Tuesday 6 August 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer 'Camouflage' Calibre 5 Watch

WAY208D.FC8221

TAG Heuer Boutique / Bicester Village, 22nd July 2019

Yeah, I know, like haven't I tried this on a hundred times already? Well yeah I have tried it on at least three times now, but maybe this time finally I can put it to bed. But then again, maybe not... see, it came to the point where I wanted to either buy this, or the sand/gold Aquaracer (WAY208C) and when it came to it I decided that the WAY208C was just the better long term prospect. And then of course it turned up at the outlet, and that was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Of course, a week later this one turned up at the outlet too and I was still very tempted, but couldn't justify the expense and truthfully I expected it to disappear as fast as it had arrived, thus my problem would be solved. But, oddly it's still there, taunting me. Which is strange as anything a bit unusual tends to fly off the shelves at Bicester Village.


So inevitably I decided to try it on again, just to see... and of course I still like it, but maybe not as much as I once did. The sticking point is, was and always will be the strap, although I have to admit I am starting to warm up to it a little bit. But I really don't like that huge tail sticking up at the back and because there's a double thickness of strap underneath the back of the watch it sits way too high up off the wrist for me. The obvious answer would be to put it on the rubber strap that I got for my WAY208C (still in the packet at the moment) but I'm sure that would diminish the overall effect.

I still like the dial though, it's so unique and different, but I struggle to understand when I would wear this really. It's an automatic with a PVD case so I'm going to want to take care of it, but then it has a camouflage dial so it's not exactly something to wear when you're going out to dinner is it. I realise this is partly my ludicrous desire to keep things 'nice' and maybe I do need to make another concerted effort to get over this and wear my 'posh' watches day to day too, but still... my need for a watch like this is limited, but that's never stopped me before, has it? :)


The WAY208D Camouflage Aquaracer is 43mm in diameter, features a Calibre 5 automatic movement and is currently on offer at the Bicester Village outlet for £1610 (list price £2300). I'm sure it's only a matter of time until the right person comes along and takes this home... I must admit though, I will be a little disappointed when it's gone, it's like I don't really want to buy it, but I don't want anyone else to buy it either!

No comments:

Post a Comment