Tuesday 3 March 2020

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Monza 40th Anniversary Calibre 17 Chronograph

CR2080.FC6375

TAG Heuer Boutique / Bicester Village, 28th February 2020

Of all the TAG Heuer / Heuer watches released over the last few years, the Monza 40th Anniversary has to be one of the most written about and one of the most universally well regarded. Indeed, while I had my reservations about the strap when I wrote my first 'On the Wrist' post back in October 2016, I was pretty clear on my feelings about the watch in general (even if my opinion has perhaps wavered back and forth just a little in the meantime). So it was nice to get a chance to get one of these on the wrist again and see where I stand with it now at the tail end of February 2020.


The first thing to say is, my feelings about the strap have softened somewhat, I still don't really like it but I'm not as 'vehemently' opposed to it as I was way back then. If I bought one of these I would undoubtedly change the strap, perhaps for a leather racing strap with smaller perforations and some red stitching; y'see those big holes just don't sit right with me I'm afraid and I don't see that changing any time soon. But, I get that this is a homage to the 1970s and as such the strap is entirely appropriate, it just doesn't float my boat... which is fine, it can be easily replaced (and kept in the box in mint condition, obviously).

The design remains super-cool and the faux aged lume doesn't seem as offensive on the eye as the last time I came across one in a jeweller's window. Actually, looking at the watch again today I was a little thrown by the 'bezel' since it looks a lot like polished ceramic. I never remembered anyone saying it was ceramic so I looked into it and it seems that no it isn't ceramic, but it is a higher than usual grade of titanium which can be highly polished. I'm still having a hard time believing it isn't ceramic though and I keep trying to reassure myself by checking various websites because the bezel and case genuinely don't look as if they are made of the same material.


The Monza is perhaps the perfect watch for someone who kinda likes the Monaco but can't quite commit to the fully square case, it certainly wears a lot more 'organically' on the wrist as the chamfered edges smooth out the shape somewhat. The white hands are super legible here, I really like the contrast with the black dial and the red detailing really pops on this watch. Incredibly, I've only just noticed that the two sub-dials are completely different sizes, which is odd because that kind of thing usually stands out a mile to me! I have to say I think TAG Heuer did a superb job of balancing the dial using the red flashes on the left hand side and whatever you think of the case, this one truly has a very good looking dial.

Clearly the grade 5 titanium (oh yes it is) bezel is fixed and as you'd expect from a proper racing chronograph this one features a white tachymetre scale around the edge, with another subtle but very worthwhile piece of red detail highlighting the higher numbers at top right. The backplate is solid rather than crystal and marked with a red Heuer logo over which is printed 'Monza' in white. These watches are individually numbered at the bottom of the caseback but unfortunately there's no mention of the total number of pieces (best guess is that it's likely to be somewhere in the region of 4-5000).


I'm not sure how I feel about those silver pushers and crown, I do kind of wish they were black, but I think they've taken their design cues from the 1976 model. I guess I would get used to them, and actually I think they are more noticeable in these pictures than they are on the wrist, which is interesting.

I do like this one a lot, but I still don't think it's one that I will pick up - mainly because the prices have held up a little too well. A brief glance at Chrono 24 tells me that for a pre-owned model you are going to be looking at the extremely high £2000s (and by that I really mean £2995!) to secure one of these and at that price I think I'd find something I liked more. If the Monza appeals to you though and you live in the UK, you can actually get one of these new with a two year warranty from the TAG Heuer Bicester Village boutique for £3075, which seems to make more sense to me; this is a 30% reduction on the current list price which is £4395.

As always, stock is limited (may well be only one piece available) so call the store on 01869 249008 for details and stock availability.

No comments:

Post a Comment