Tuesday 31 March 2020

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Tristar Quartz Watch

954.406

If you ever find yourself on the TV game show 'Pointless' and you get asked to name a TAG Heuer model range that nobody remembers, you really could do an awful lot worse than to answer 'Tristar'. As names go it's not one of the most 'evocative' TAG Heuer have ever used, indeed it doesn't really evoke much in the way of anything does it? Unlike Monaco or Monza (or even Aquaracer) it's a perfect example of literally 'doing what it says on the tin' as this watch has not one, not two, but (wait for it) three stars on the bezel. Well, actually that's not strictly true... there are actually twelve stars on the bezel, but clearly they are arranged in four groups of three, so I guess we'll let them off there...

The Tristar range first appears in the 1987 TAG Heuer catalogue (it's listed in the 2000 section as a 'special' in fact), but it's a natural extension of what was going on at the tail end of the 'Heuer' years and I could well believe it was already in development before the takeover occurred; have a look at the 3000s from around the mid 80s and you'll see what I mean. Not unlike the 3000s, the Tristar isn't a thing of 'conventional' beauty, but oddly I kinda like it for all it's 80s kitsch. There's something intrinsically 'Soviet' about this one; for sure it's the stars... but even those lines around the bezel have something of the old 'CCCP' about them.


The Tristar range came in four basic configurations; black and gold with a black dial, black and gold with a white dial (those two are definitely not going to be to everyone's liking!), standard 'two-tone' with a blue dial and this version which matches a 'two-tone' bracelet and case with a champagne dial.

Kudos to TAG Heuer, they've given the watch a matching champagne date wheel, but those hands look a little on the slender side to me. They're long enough, but rather too delicate for such a brutalist bezel don't you think?

I'm slightly surprised to read that this model is 40mm in diameter and I do rather wonder if they haven't included the crown in that measurement. Back in the 1980s 37mm / 38mm was more the standard, more's the pity as I'd love a 41mm black and gold 3000 for example!

I actually really like the old 1980s watches with the black and gold finishes, but I'm yet to see one that's in good condition. 80s black PVD isn't the hardiest of coatings and watches that are pushing 35 years old and which have been worn generally look a bit of a mess, what I really need is a NOS piece... albeit I'm sure one of those would cost a pretty penny!


Speaking of which, this watch is exactly that, a 'new-old-stock' piece complete with hang-tag and box (no pics of the box though...) in 'as-new' condition. I found this one on eBay.it, and it's currently offered at 636 Euros (reduced from it's original price of 795 Euros).

I think this is the kind of watch that deserves a decent price, but one that needs to find the right buyer. Obviously, this isn't going to appeal to a lot of people and many wouldn't want this at any price, but someone will and I reckon they'll probably get something close to that price if they wait long enough. If it genuinely is 40mm I wouldn't mind it myself, but whether I like it enough to part with my savings in these rather uncertain times... I don't think so, unfortunately.

If by some random chance you might be the right person to take it off the seller's hands, here's the link to the sale: https://www.ebay.it/c/719611885


No comments:

Post a Comment