Monday 8 June 2020

FEATURE: Not Sure Where to Go From Here...

WL111G

It is now almost six months since I have bought a watch and actually, I'm kinda okay with it! This is the longest I have gone without buying a watch since 2017 and while it is certainly partly to do with the Coronavirus and financial security, it's also because I have already 'collected' a lot of the watches I wanted to get. 

The last watch I bought was my steel 3000 Series quartz and that was the last watch that I really wanted, I mean obviously I could give you a long list of watches I'd 'like' to add to my collection, but that was the last one that I was absolutely certain I wanted, even the fabled green dial Aquaracer was dependant on me having seen it first.

Sure the new carbon dial Formula 1 is nice and the 'Batman' Aquaracer is really nice too, but right now I really don't feel comfortable spending that kind of money on something I really don't need. And really, I'm not even 100% sure which way I want to go in future... there's a limit to how many £1-3000+ watches I can purchase and honestly I get an awful lot of pleasure out of my £3-500 quartz pieces and part of me would like to keep expanding that side.

WAY201T.BA0927

I wouldn't mind a green dial S/EL if I could find one for sensible money, a leather strap S/EL would be cool too, as would a leather strap 6000 Series. I don't have a 3000 Chronograph, that would be nice... and then there's the Kirium.

I am endlessly drawn to the Kirium, there's just something about it. Clearly eight years of only having a Kirium made an enduring impression on me and sure enough over this last weekend I have been browsing eBay for Kiriums. There always seems to be a nice selection available, and they aren't too expensive either (as long as you want a blue or black dial).

I could actually quite happily build a little Kirium collection, I already have two; my original 2005 F1 Kirium and my blue dial quartz chronograph, the only problem is that the ones that spring to mind as possible additions are the more expensive ones. I'd really like to snag a plum dial quartz Chronograph, but I've never seen one of those for less than £1300 and the gold bezel Kiriums tend to be £600 or more.

I almost bid on a very dark blue Kirium today, but in the end I held off and it went for just over £300. Part of me regrets letting it go, but part of me doesn't - because those kind of Kiriums are pretty easy to find really, and I wonder if I really wanted it or am I just itching to buy 'something'?

WL5113

There's a very nice looking Kirium chronometer on eBay too, which has caught my eye, but that's just ended and it went for nearly £500... which is probably fair enough, but I rather want my Kirium's to be a little more affordable.

So I'll probably end up with a blue or black dial sooner or later, there's a black dial Kirium that looks in good condition on eBay right now with a starting price of £300, that would look nice in my cabinet. But then again, I probably won't... I mean, what if I buy three or four Kiriums and then TAG Heuer release another green Aquaracer - that would suck!

So no, I'll probably sit on my hands for the time being and wait for things to slowly get back to normal. Maybe 2020 will be the year I didn't buy a single watch? Sounds crazy, but it's June already...

No comments:

Post a Comment