Monday 15 June 2020

OWNED: TAG Heuer S/EL Quartz WG111C Watch

WG111C

It took me a while to get hold of this one, I'd seen one on eBay a long time ago but I absolutely was not prepared to spend £800 for a three handed S/EL just because it had a red dial. Okay, it's a lot harder to find than the black dial but still, that's still at least £300 over the top.

So I waited and watched and then my wife managed to get hold of her red dial S/EL at an extremely good price and once I'd seen that I knew I really wanted one. And so the search began again and then one day last November I got lucky too.

This watch was on eBay with a starting bid of £350 and since I was the only person to place a bid that's exactly what I paid for it.


I love the styling of the S/EL (which is just as well since I have three of them in total) but the red dial really makes this one stand out from the crowd - I guess it catches my eye when I'm choosing a watch to wear too as since it arrived it's quietly become one of my most worn watches, something that slightly surprised me when I did my post about wrist time at the end of March.

The watch is in pretty good condition for it's age, although there is a slight patination to the lume and hands, which is a shame as my wife's red S/EL is pretty much perfect in that regard. Both watches have some light scratches to the highly polished bezel though, something which is pretty much impossible to avoid unless you really baby your watch.

With its bold red dial I'm sure the WG111C isn't going to be one that has 'universal' appeal; even now sometimes I still look at it and wonder if it doesn't look slightly odd, something I've never felt about a black or blue dial watch, or even my yellow dial Aquaracer Calibre S come to that. But then, when you have a large number of watches it's good to have some that stand out since you don't really want a watch box full of black dial stainless steel pieces, do you? I think part of that is because the red of the TAG Heuer logo doesn't mesh well (or perhaps it meshes too well) with the red of the dial.


As ever the S/EL bracelet is super comfortable and fortunately when the watch arrived it fitted my wrist perfectly. I say fortunately because my wife's S/EL had to be sent away to be altered - even though it came with the instruction booklet which made it all sound so easy! It proved not to be the case at all...

In the wrist-shot above it looks quite substantial, but this picture is very misleading. It's quite slender and it measures just 37/38mm so it's definitely on the smaller side for a modern watch (current Aquaracers are 41 or 43mm in diameter for comparison). I've found that I can wear anything from a 35mm to a 45mm though, you just get used to these things and the truth is you have to if you want to wear watches from the 1980s and 90s. I believe there might be a 40mm case S/EL chronograph, but I've never actually seen one close up so I can't be 100% sure about that, it could just be eBay sellers including the crown in the measurements (always something to be wary of!).

While the dial is quite simple, there is one small detail you might not have noticed which elevates it somewhat. The dial is actual on two levels, with the central section lower than the outer section where the hour batons sit. To separate the two parts of the dial TAG Heuer have added a very delicate silver line that you only really notice when it catches the light. I'm not sure whether this is an applied metal ring or whether it's 'painted' on to the dial, but it's a nice touch and adds a touch of class to an otherwise 'sporty' dial. Which is just what it was designed to do I'm sure, after all 'S/EL' stands for 'sport elegance'. 


A few days ago the watch started to indicate that its battery needed changing (jumping four seconds at a time) and so I procured a Renata 371 from eBay and took the back off to make the switch. I was pleased to see the movement looked in good condition with no obvious signs of water incursion and also it was nice to see 'TAG Heuer' printed prominently on the movement too.

There's not much to go wrong with this watch as its only complication is a date function; that works perfectly and the crown screws down nicely, so the only minor niggle is the ageing of the lume. Maybe one day I'll send it back to TAG Heuer for an overhaul and a re-lume, after all it's probably due a service by now even though it keeps excellent time.

6 comments:

  1. Great site, write-ups and very cool red dial Tag pick-up. It is one of the most handsome color combos for the S/El watches, IMHO. Is there any way to find out production numbers from Tag for any of these models? It'd be interesting to know how many were issued. Appreciate your attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      Thanks for your kind words, glad you are enjoying the blog. Pretty much impossible to know production numbers to be honest, but I think it's fair to say that coloured dials were definitely made in smaller numbers than the black and maybe blue ones. It's a lot harder to find red and green ones, but that said they don't command a huge premium.
      Rob

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the quick reply. I might try to ping Tag to see if they can even provide a ballpark estimate for these. I just have no idea if it's hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands?! I wound up buying the same model WG111C via Chrono24 (link below). It's supposed to be in near new condition albeit without box or paperwork. Waiting for shipping as it's 4000 miles away. Can't wait and I'll post back my in-person impression. Already own the S/EL gray dial WG1113-KO and love it. Your postings did force my hand on the purchase! Thanks again.

    https://www.chrono24.com/tagheuer/professional--id20582899.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good find! Took me a while to find mine, and mine isn't as good condition as the one you have found (or my wife's for that matter). Since I wrote this I sent my CG1110 Chronograph back to TAG for a re lume but it seems they don't actually do that, they replace the dial, except I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have any spare dials for this one. They also put the wrong dial in my watch and it had to go back (there are two different dials for the CG1110!). As for numbers, I doubt you'll have much luck with TAG Heuer to be honest. They aren't terribly good at their own history, partly because of the change of ownership in 1999 and partly because I don't think they're all that interested!
      Hope you enjoy your watch when it arrives.
      Regards
      Rob

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your service issues - hopefully all sorted by now. The WG111C arrived today (only one week from Europe to U.S.) and it is as minty in the person as in the pictures. Now I'm concerned about sizing and wearing it - don't want to put the first nick on it.

    After comparing some S/EL pictures and these two watches it appears that there have been many minor changes to these models over the years. From thickness of the number lettering on the bezel to the size of the hour markers and even color of date wheels, there have been minor changes. I do prefer the look of the dial on the more recent versions with the two level stamping, concentric circles on inner level, date with a white outline box and silver trim ring between levels. And the bracelet. Just a great design that exudes luxury. Now how to find a merlot dial WG111F?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end I had to keep the old dial cos they didn't have any new ones of the older dial... which means I have spangly new hands and an old dial - annoying but the hands were really bad so the best option.

      Yes, they were less fussy about things in the old days so they made 'improvements' on the fly without feeling the need to change the part number (sometimes putting a suffix on the number). I much preferred the old dial without the separation between subdials and dial, when it came back with the wrong dial it just looked odd to me - but that's just personal preference.

      Good luck with finding the WG111F, maybe Japan can help?

      AquaG

      Delete