Thursday 11 February 2021

FEATURE: Gulf Mania - Part Two: 'The Gulf Maniac'

 

Continuing our three part series in which Jim Dollares celebrates the history of TAG Heuer and Gulf Oil in his own very special way...


I asked Michael, the watch community’s number one Gulf maniac (known in the watch community as ‘Mspeedster’) to share with us the story about why he loves everything related to Gulf. Michael has an impressive collection of Gulf items, Gulf model cars, TAG Heuer watches and Steve McQueen figurines and he is the ideal source for understanding why Gulf is such a legendary brand loved by enthusiasts all over the world. With that said, I now hand over to Michael and his fascinating story!

Photo by: Mspeedster


According to the watch community’s number 1 Gulf maniac, this is what makes Gulf so special

2021, it's been 50 years since Steve McQueen's classic movie Le Mans was released. The famous John Wyer Automotive Engineering Porsche 917s were forever immortalized, in their unforgettable Gulf Racing duck egg blue and orange livery. And McQueen's watch? The Heuer Monaco, which too became a thing of legend.

It's also been 50 years since this Gulf Racing enthusiast, some might call "maniac", first became fascinated by these cars and racing livery. The seeds were planted at a very early age. But it wasn't the movie, it was actually a book I received as a gift in 1971 which was the genesis. I was a young boy, having developed a passion for cars & auto racing since the age of five. The book was Automotive Quarterly Vol. 9 No. 2, it was all about Porsche. It had a chapter devoted to the Gulf Racing Porsches, with many photos and featured beautiful paintings of the Targa Florio winning Gulf Porsche 908 and the Gulf Porsche 917 at Le Mans. It left a lasting impression! I still have this book in my library.


Photo's by: Mspeedster

A few years later, the movie Le Mans would make its network television debut. My parents thought the movie was boring and wanted to change the channel, but I was simply mesmerized by the battle between Porsche v Ferrari! I showed them the book and said: "See, it's these cars! I want to see how the movie ends". That Christmas, I received my first slot car racing set and wouldn't you know it, it featured the Gulf Racing Porsche 917 (and some Ferrari). I still have that old slot car set too, it sits covered in dust in my parent's basement.

Photo by: Mspeedster


“I had no clue that the Monaco ever existed, let alone worn by Steve McQueen”

Thus, my infatuation with Gulf Porsche & Le Mans began. But like many things during one's childhood, it had become a distant memory by the time I reached adulthood. My interest in watches wouldn't start until I was a young adult, by then, Heuer had become TAG Heuer. But I had no clue that the Monaco ever existed, let alone worn by Steve McQueen, until TAG Heuer re-released the Monaco in the late 90's. 

At that time, my favourite watch was my S/el ana-digi, as worn by my racing hero Ayrton Senna. I wasn't interested in the re-released Monaco (ref. CS2110) at all, it looked nothing like the one in the movie to me. However, when TAG Heuer created their Monaco "Gulf Edition" watches and also the 40th Anniversary Monaco, it was love at first sight! I finally got my Monaco Gulf in 2011, just in time to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the movie Le Mans. It was then that my mania for everything Gulf Racing was reignited, and my childhood memories came rushing back!!!

Photo by: Mspeedster

I suppose I'm now the resident Gulf "maniac" on the Calibre11 Forum, another thing of legend perhaps? If you're not a fan of Gulf Racing, you might wonder what's all the fuss? Well, for me, it's the perfect trifecta of Man, Machine and Watch! The man, Steve McQueen - too cool for school. His machine, the legendary dominant Porsche 917. His watch, the Monaco - it's hip to be square!

Photo by: Mspeedster

Moreover, Gulf's unique light blue & orange livery is just so eye catching, whether it be on the Ford GT40, Porsche 917, Mirage GR8 or modern day race cars. Gulf mania knows no end!

Mspeedster

A big thank you to Michael for sharing his story. Come back tomorrow for the third and final part of the TAG Heuer and Gulf mania series where I will be crowning the King and Prince of Gulf watches.


PART ONE

PART THREE

No comments:

Post a Comment