Sunday 28 February 2021

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 01 Skeleton Chronograph Launch Specials

CAR2A1Z.FT6051

A few days ago I came across an old thread on the Calibre 11 forum from 2015 showing some photographs from the launch of the original Heuer 01 Carreras that I had never seen before. It was quite interesting to see the forum regulars opinions from five years ago and also several comments from someone called Mark_85 who I don't remember at all and who hasn't visited the forum since 2018. I hope he's still with us...? Actually it brought it home to me that all this nonsense we all type on the forum will be there in perpetuity (or until King Hubert decides to delete it all, whichever comes first I suppose).


Maudlin thoughts aside, what really caught my eye was some of the photographs... which showed a selection of colourful pieces that I was pretty sure never made it into production (more's the pity). I did some checking myself and also queried this with Tom at TAG Heuer Bicester Village and sure enough I was correct in my assumption that only the red (CAR2A1Z) and the blue (CAR2A1T) actually made it into the stores.


Originally of course the Carrera Heuer 01 (CAR2A1Z) was launched on a black rubber strap, and I'm pretty sure it was also available on the white rubber strap shown in these pictures at some point (in fact I'm sure I saw it in the Sheffield boutique a couple of years ago), probably the red strap as well, but always with the red second hand and other dial highlights not the white version shown here. The blue version was released later (officially called 'Blue Touch' for some reason that I know not) and funnily enough TAG Heuer Bicester Village has one in stock currently if you are interested (£2635 - see the link at the bottom of this post).


The pictures show that the 'orange' Carrera caseback is engraved with the number CAR2A1P, but this doesn't seem to exist. Presumably the green, white and yellow versions all had their own part numbers too, all later deleted as the pieces were cancelled. What a shame; I was hoping that they had all seen the light of day, even if it was as limited editions in different countries, but sadly not. I would have thought a couple of hundred of each would have been easy enough to shift, but perhaps the feedback from the launch wasn't enthusiastic enough, or maybe they were never intended to go into full production, merely eye catching colours for the press photographs?


Personally I'd be more than willing to swap my CAR2A1Z for the lime green/black version, what a fantastic colour scheme and one I've been championing for a long time. I wouldn't even mind the green strap with the red second hand I have, but despite my hopeful prodding, it seems the green isn't available and my only option is the white - which I can't help thinking would look grubby within a day of fitting it. :(


A Blog to Watch Carrera Heuer 01 Launch Coverage

TAG Heuer Carrera Blue Touch available at Bicester Village (01869) 249008

5 comments:

  1. Great post. I had no idea those colours were even thought of. What do you think happened to the pieces that were made? 1 off I'm guessing? Would they be sitting in a warehouse somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      Thanks!
      No idea, maybe they were given to the celebs at the launch?
      I suppose one could turn up one day...
      Rob

      Delete
  2. this is a great post - its as if you read my mind. I have the H01 and i have the black rubber, Blue rubber and white rubber straps - all i love greatly. Im seriously considering adding the the red but would LOVE the ornage and green. I may try my contact in Heuer service to see if i have any more luck than you did. (they couldnt guarentee the black rubber would fit the Turbo version so i had them test fit it during a service and when it worked i bought the other two - so they cna be flexible when they want.) i'd hate to think there is a box of unopened grenn, yellow and orange straps in a cabinet in Geneva that coud lbe ordered and loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: the white straps stays spotless no matter how much abuse you give it!

    ReplyDelete