Tuesday 16 February 2021

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Formula 1 'Citrus' Quartz Chronographs

CAZ101AG.FC8304                                      CAZ101AH.BA0842

Hot on the heels of the 'Porsche' special edition Carrera Heuer 02 released earlier this month comes two new Formula 1 models sporting similar (but not quite the same) textured dials and some bright 'citrus' coloured highlights (Hubert has suggested we christen these the 'Sprite' and the 'Fanta' which I quite like). I'm not quite sure how I feel about the watches though; I am the first to call for bright colours on watch dials, but these leave me surprisingly under-excited. The orange doesn't really look all that bright, and the yellow (or yellow/lime as TAG Heuer are describing it) looks a bit 'grubby', at least here, it may look better on the wrist of course.


Fancy colours and textured dial aside, there's nothing particularly new here, just variations on the familiar, but TAG Heuer have at least given us a new textile strap which looks quite cool. I wish they had also given us a steel crown and pushers though, I really don't like the black ones here any more than I looked them on the Gulf special edition Formula 1.


Size wise it's the familiar 43mm case with a ceramic bezel and although TAG Heuer are only showing the yellow model on a pin and buckle strap right now you will also be able to buy it on the BA0842 bracelet soon, but currently it doesn't look like the orange version will have it's own textile alternative (which seems a shame). One thing you probably haven't noticed (I certainly didn't from these pictures) is that the 'yellow' version has blue minute markings around the edge of the dial, it's quite hard to see here but it might give a little added interest when you get to see the watch in person.

While I applaud TAG Heuer for their use of lime highlights, I wish a) they had made it more 'day-glo' and b) used a deep black dial to make it pop more, this darkish, mid-grey doesn't really cut it for me. Still, as ever I will reserve judgement until I see these in the stores, but I can't honestly say I'm going to be opening my wallet for either of these. The 'next' Formula 1 43mm might be a different story though, and should be exciting for those of you who appreciate TAG Heuer's history of colourful F1s...


Both of these watches are available from TAG Heuer authorised dealers now at the following prices:

CAZ101AG.FC8304 (Yellow highlights on a nylon strap): £1550
CAZ101AH.BA0842(Orange highlights on a steel bracelet): £1650



Once again I approached the esteemed members of the C.O.C.O. for their scores and opinions:

CAZ101AG.FC8304 (Sprite): 5.4/10
CAZ101AH.BA0842 (Fanta): 4.9/10
 
"The yellow picked up some bonus points for an original strap with stitching picking out the colour of the dial markings. Overall I think the colours and design works better. Other than that, there is little here that we haven't seen before. Another oversize 43mm release and the emery paper dial hardly screams luxury. What's more, if that is your thing, it kind of detracts from the uniqueness of the recent Porsche limited-edition Carrera."


"To be honest, these days I get tired with all these releases of the same watch with a small change in colour. The F1 has been milked enough by now and needs an update for me to get excited again. These two basically feel like TAG Heuer once again looked at their inventory and put together two "new" watches with existing parts."


"I like the orange one a bit more. Reminds me a bit of the Bamford Aquaracer which I like very much.
Don't know why but I have a sweet spot for orange accents on watches."


"Are the strap/bracelet options fixed? Would be good to get the choice or even both options in the box, I too think the colours could be stronger, they always look a little washed out."


"Judging purely on the looks they're fun, but asking $2k or more for a quartz chronograph these days is really not great."


"Yellow vs. Orange is simply a matter of personal taste. I like both equally. Asphalt is cool, but now is in danger of being overused by TAG Heuer. I find the strap interesting, but not something I'd personally want to buy. If the strap is only available on the Yellow, then I guess it would get a 5.5 instead of a 5 because of the strap (not the dial colour)."


"Like my fellow COCO members, my score is based on the strap on the yellow being slightly unique.
I really like the the touches of Yellow at the top of the strap. Why they wouldn’t do an Orange version is I think a mistake. Lots of people like Orange, I can think of one in particular. As for the watch itself, I like them but I think it was a big middle finger in the air to anyone who has or was thinking of purchasing a Porsche version. It just negates all of the trendy words used in the promotion hype of the Porsche launch when talking of the asphalt finish. Oh, and I’m not a fan of the back of the F1 watches. Think they could change this out depending on models to make each release a little more distinguishable."

No comments:

Post a Comment