Sunday 9 May 2021

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 01 Manchester United Special Edition Chronograph

 
CAR2A1J.FC6416

TAG Heuer Boutique / Bicester Village, 19th April 2021

Perusing the glass cases in the Bicester Village TAG Heuer store, I was struck by how noticeable the difference is between the 43mm and 45mm Carrera Heuer 01s. When you see them separately it's quite often hard to tell which one is which, but side by side it's very apparent and in fact the 43mm models look kinda small! 

They don't look small on the wrist though, as you can see below. Would I have bought a 45mm Heuer 01 when I did if I'd have known they would eventually make a 43mm? Probably, because I don't think they ever made a 43mm version of the CAR2A1Z that is exactly the same in every respect. But there are certainly some extremely nice 43mm models I would love to have in my collection...


This isn't one of them, unfortunately... but only because I have zero interest in Manchester United and football in general. But if we leave aside the Manchester United element of this watch, I have only good things to say about it!

The extremely shiny black ceramic bezel was what first caught my eye, though the gorgeous red strap wasn't far behind. Oh man, I really dig this strap... it's more than a bit 'in your face' for sure, but if this would fit my Heuer 01 I would probably buy one. It's absolutely stunning, although I do wonder if it won't get grubby eventually? 


The red lume on the hands and hour markers is cool (assuming it is lume of course, unfortunately I didn't check - and the TAG Heuer website doesn't have much to say other than that the dial is 'black' - sooo helpful!), though equally standard white would look just as good. But, sadly... we can't avoid it any longer, that red smudge on the left hand sub-dial is horrendous. I know if you support Manchester United this is perhaps a 'sacred' thing with deep meaning and possibly a strong emotional attachment, but be honest - it's just not aesthetically pleasing is it? 

Still, I guess no one who isn't a staunch Manchester United fan is going to contemplate purchasing this watch so the point is rather moot. And you'd better be on board with the logo because it's also plastered all over the so called 'display' case back. Not that you'll be able to see much through this one!


Honestly, I really loved this Carrera, and if they made one exactly the same but without the Manchester United elements it would definitely be on my radar, but this (unlike the Red Bull Carrera I posted about a few days ago) is definitely only for the devout follower. Which is fair enough, I'm sure TAG Heuer know their customer base and I can see why this model doesn't have the 'subtlety' of the Red Bull. It's a shame for me though...

Anyway, if you are one of the Red Army and you fancy yourself a (numbered, I've just noticed - see the top edge of the caseback in the picture above) Heuer 01 Carrera at a sizeable discount then it is your lucky day (providing you live in the UK of course). TAG Heuer Bicester Village currently have this reduced from £5295 to £2700 which represents an impressive saving of 49%!

Please call the store on (01869) 249008 to check stock and arrange a UK delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment