Friday 7 May 2021

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 5 Blue/Red Limited Edition

 
WAR201P.FC6485

The Calibre 5 Carrera is one of those watches I admire... from a distance; while I have tried it on once or twice (albeit mainly in the 39mm variant - this one is 41mm) and I tell myself that 'one day I will pick up a dressy Carrera' the reality is that I probably never will. Because for that kind of money there's always going to be something that excites me more (Bicester Village have a gorgeous CAY218A in stock for £2050, for example). But if I was actually going to buy a 'dressy' Calibre 5 Carrera, then this would probably be quite high on my list.

It's amazing how a red second hand and strap stitching can transform a watch and for me this particular colour combination brings back fond memories of my sole Rolex 'try on' experience which occurred a couple of years ago (it seems like so much longer...) in Selfridges on Oxford Street, where I tried on a very nice Yachtmaster 116622 with a blue dial, a red second hand and a 950 platinum bezel.


That watch had a list price of £8900 at the time, I assume it's well over £9000 nowadays, assuming they still make it of course, which while I quite liked it (I found the bracelet a bit narrow) was rather out of my price range. Thankfully this Carrera is rather more affordable at £2550, a definite point in it's favour I'd say! 

Honestly, if I was in the market right now, for the extra £200 this costs over the standard blue dial (WAY201E) I would definitely stump up the extra coin for the red second hand as it makes such a difference, as indeed it did on that Rolex. Problem is I'm not in the market right now and this one is another limited edition (this time just 200 pieces) and while I very much doubt it will be trading 50% over list anytime soon, I think the red second hand will be enough to keep it fairly buoyant on the used market (a pro if you're buying it now of course, a con if you're hoping to snaffle one later!).


Comparing this with the standard Carrera it's based on, the other main change is that they have switched out the white day and date wheels for black ones, which I can't quite decide if I'm onboard with or not. On the one hand I think it makes the watch look a bit less 'every-day-salesman's' kinda watch, but at the same time because there's no other black on the watch it looks a little bit odd... but I guess it's something you would get used to.

The really strange thing about this watch and indeed the continuing Calibre 5 Carrera range is that it still wears the old fashioned TAG Heuer logo on the dial. Indeed I can't remember the last time we saw a 'new' watch with the old logo and why would we?


Truth be told, this isn't really a 'new' watch, its an old watch with some fresh 'trimmings' to make it appealing, like a car with a 'limited edition' graphic on the side and there's nothing wrong with that - especially when the result is aesthetically pleasing. 

It does seem slightly incongruous though that six years after the introduction of the new logo we're still seeing watches wearing the old one... it does beg the question of whether the dials were made in bulk just prior to the change of logo or whether they've continued to produce old logos for new pieces rather than switching them over...? I'm sure I was told years ago that everything that has the old logo was made prior to the switch over but as time has gone on that seems less and less likely.

I've heard two explanations for the origin of this watch, one that it was a French limited edition that didn't sell well enough and so it has been farmed out to other countries, and also that it was previously only for sale in 'Duty Free' stores. I guess neither or both of those things could be true, but whatever the back story I rather like this one, even if it is really just an old tart with a new pair of fancy knickers.

But as ever, now we need to hand it over to the Council of Considered Opinion and see what they make of it...



WAR201P.FC6485 Carrera Limited Edition - 5.7 / 10

"I find this one very sexy and would like to give it a score of 7. If it wasn't for the size and the movement I would have gone even higher."

"In my opinion they have got it right, it looks sporty and modern but elegant at the same time. A real nice simple 3 hander. I even think the price is right, given its movement. So yes a big thumbs up from me and I would score it 8 out of 10."

"3/10. I love the idea of a red hand, but don't see the point of creating an "exclusive." I feel TH should streamline their designs and create design accents or at least some sort of motif that ties the line together rather than creating 1 offs that lack cohesive identity."

"I like the added colour, not a fan of the black date wheel. 41 is big for a slim bezel dress watch. 6,5 for me."

"3/10. Leftover parts with no real thought. Seriously lazy right down to the logo; what’s its marketing angle going to be - argue the logo is 'heritage'?"

"I like the size 41mm and I’ve always loved the clean Carrera design. Red and Blue seems to be okay and this theme immediately reminds me of Red Bull F1. I’m not a fan of day & date on a watch that’s why I’m not kinda sure of this watch either. I’ll give it 6/10 at best."

"4/10 Nothing to get excited about."

"Nothing revolutionary, but it’s a nice colour combo (like Red Bull Racing, and also like the FC Barcelona, 'Barça', my favourite and home football club… but I don’t like the alligator straps, and not sure about this buckle with holes (I prefer the fine adjusting system without holes)… so it’s a 6/10 for me."

"1/10 Nice to see TAG celebrating Grand Seiko’s 60th anniversary too."

"5/10. I am on the fence about this one. Personally I love the classic black / silver combination. This one seems a bit colourful to me. Perhaps if the strap was black it would look a bit more subtle. I like the day/date, however the black background throws me a bit as nothing else on the piece is black."

"6/10. Nice try. The colours work and it's a good-looking watch. But 41mm on a 3-hand Carrera will wear big, it uses the old TAG Heuer logo on the dial, and in my opinion it's quite a lot of money for a Calibre 5. Already sold out on TAG's UK site, though, so what do I know?"

"Boom! That came out of nowhere. I like it. I prefer date only to day-date but that is not a deal-breaker. Colours and design look great and TAG Heuer do THE best blue dials around. Calibre 5 movement: nothing to say about that. Odd choice of a strap with holes for a pin buckle but then they fitted a deployant clasp. 7.5/10 from me."

"7/ 10 for me. This is a bit of a spare-parts special with a new model coming (explaining the old logo), but it's a good-looking watch."

"6/10 from me. Don't really like the color combination at the same time can't really complaint about the watch as a whole either. I am curious to see will this one be sold out instantly or be one of the most coveted model in the future."

"It may have been created with a combination of spare parts, but it uses red and blue according to a French limited theme. The limited number of 200 is fascinating, but it doesn't seem to be worth it in the future. My rating is 7.5."

"7/10. Nice clean design, pleasing color scheme, there's nothing much not to like. OTOH, not all that exciting either. Original TAG Heuer logo is a bonus for those who like it."


LINK TO THIS WATCH ON THE TAG HEUER WEBSITE

No comments:

Post a Comment