Monday 28 June 2021

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer 2000 Series Sports Quartz Watch

 
WM1212

You may remember a few weeks ago I posted a 'Spotlight On' the blue version of this watch which was for sale on 'Est 1897' (and has since been sold). At the time I believe I commented on how unusual it was to see a 2000 'Sports' for sale on a 'pre-owned' website and they were usually to be found instead on eBay, lurking between £350-500 depending on condition and colour scheme desirability.

This is undoubtedly the most desirable colour scheme variation, but finding a 'quarter' Coke bezel 2000 Sports in good condition is a tricky business. Bizarrely, Watchfinder have not one, but two available at the moment. The first is dated 1997 and is selling for £500, while the second is 2003 and is selling for £625.


As we've discussed before, Watchfinder's prices are difficult to pin down and it will of course have been dependant on the price paid, condition, etc... but to me the older watch looks a little better. The 2003 bezel has some marks and to me the bezel condition is what is most important on these since that is the thing you will notice most day to day.

I've never really understood the 'Sports' nomenclature for these pieces, the ostentatious Arabic numerals suggest 'pocketwatch' rather than 'activities', and design wise it all seems a bit confused, especially on this one with the red and black bezel. I'm not saying I don't like it, I do... but can you honestly tell me it looks like the numbers and the bezel 'belong' on the same watch?


I spent a good long while gawping at these on the Watchfinder website, trying to convince myself that the bracelet wouldn't annoy my wrist... or maybe I could put something under the folding clasp to lift it up a couple of millimeters (a piece of rubber or something), but ultimately I can't be bothered to buy something I'm 90% sure will have to go back so I will just have to admire it from afar. I cant really see these looking right on a strap either, since they were only ever sold on a bracelet.

While we are on the subject of Watchfinder, I notice they also have both the recently released limited edition green Monaco and the 2020 Monaco Grand Prix Historique limited edition, both selling significantly over list price. But this is something I have noticed before with Watchfinder, a while back they even had my Senna F1 selling approximately £1000 over list price and I doubt it really warrants that, 'limited edition' or not!


But I think Watchfinder have a particular clientele, for whom 'price' is less important overall than the ability to trade watches easily and without hassle (and my experience with Watchfinder has been extremely professional, to be fair) and I think some of their prices reflect that. Despite the criticism thrown at Watchfinder they definitely do have some bargains, and yes for example maybe you are paying £100 over the odds for this 2000 Sports compared to what you would pay on eBay, but you're also getting a 2 year warranty, and presumably a new battery and reseal in the price, which seems pretty fair to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment