Sunday 20 June 2021

FEATURE: My Top Five 1500 Series


The 1500 Series is a frustratingly simple one, indeed when I compiled my 'History of the 1500 Series' post I was quite taken aback by just how few there were and how this whittled down even further when you took into account mild variations and duplicates available in different sizes. In fact, it was quite hard to pick five pieces to fill out this post since there are barely more than five distinct models in total. But pick them I did and so, without further ado, here are my top five 1500 Series models...


#5. WD1120.BB0607 (925.206M)

This was the last piece to be picked, and really I went with the two tone version just because it gave a bit of life to what is otherwise a fairly humdrum model. The 1500 Series was marketed by TAG Heuer (believe it or not) as the 'basic' sportswatch. Can you imagine a Swiss Watch Manufacturer using the word 'basic' in 2021? I think not... but I find it rather refreshing. No bullshit story, no paying homage to something that came out 40 years ago, here it is, bish-bash-bosh - our basic watch, do you want one or not? If only life was still so pure and simple!


#4. WD1212.BA0610 (929.113M)

This is the first of two watches on this list that I would like to own, but probably never will. This is the rather desirable 'full lume' 1500 Series, and while you might be forgiven for thinking it's the price that puts me off, unfortunately it's something far less 'negotiable'. It's the size; this was only available in the mid-size which means it's probably about 34/35mm, fine for a plastic Formula 1 but not a steel watch on a bracelet for me, sorry it's not going to happen. Pity...


#3. WD1111.BA0606 (959.706M)

In many ways the 959.706M (later renumbered as WD1111.BA0606) is the quintessential 1500 and carries the one feature utterly unique to this range - the granite dial. The dial seemingly remains tremendously popular with collectors and as such these watches command much higher prices than you might otherwise imagine. One day I'll get one though, it's just a matter of time.


#2. WD1214.BA0607

This blue dial / blue bezel 1500 is a fine looking watch (I'm sure you'll agree) but unfortunately like the 'lume dial' variant shown earlier, again this is only available in 34/35mm which is such a shame. I think, honestly, that there are some watches I could get over being that small, such as the Airline, but that's because there's absolutely no alternative - if you want an Airline they are only available in 35mm, but with the 1500 Series you have them available in 37mm and even 40mm, but not in this cool blue scheme. Arrrrrgh; damn you TAG Heuer!!!

#1. WS1111,BA0606 (159.006M)

Perhaps unsurprisingly, my number one choice for the 1500 Series is the only one that I actually own, that being the 'jumbo' sized 40mm GMT. I really like this watch, and actually I think this was the watch that changed my mind about white dials; I used to think they were quite dull and boring, but this one provides the perfect background for the creamy-yellow hour markers, the green and red TAG Heuer shield and the super cool red GMT hand. I don't know what it's made of, but bizarrely it looks like 'paper' or 'card'. I mean, I'm sure it isn't, but that really is what it looks like...


Well there are folks, a brief look at my favourite 1500 Series pieces. Usually at this point I would be bringing up some real stinkers as a counterpoint, but there really aren't any. These five watches pretty much give a comprehensive overview of the range, and if you don't like these there's probably nothing to be gained by looking further.

If you'd like to know more about the 1500 range, please visit my 'History of the 1500 Series' post by clicking the link below:

1 comment:

  1. Got a NOS (new old stock) BA0610 never worn to sold.

    ReplyDelete