Tuesday 2 November 2021

BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer Formula 1 Classic 'Lume Dial' & 'Steel/Pink' Quartz Watches

 
371.513                                                               WA1217

If you're getting a sense of deja vu from this post, you're probably not alone. Back in June I posted a (double) Buying Experience for a steel/pink F1 but it was a ladies model for my wife, whereas this is the 'full size' 35mm men's model for me. I was never quite sure about the pink version to be honest, and when they came up on eBay they always seemed to be in terrible condition with the hands nigh on white in some cases, presumably bleached by the sun...

But then I managed to find one for my wife and when I saw it I actually quite liked it and I started my own quest to find one. In truth it didn't take long and as ever my go to Japanese eBayer (spirit*age) came up trumps within a few weeks. Well, it surely was a sign that it was meant to be and so it was that I sent my $245 (£178) off and waited for the usual parcel to arrive.


And as dependable as ever, the parcel duly came in about 10 days or so with the watch well packaged and in every bit as mint condition as the photograph suggested. Some may balk at the idea of a pink men's watch (especially in 35mm), but really it's not that noticeable from a distance, it's not like the whole bezel is pink or anything and while I haven't worn it yet (it's either a wedding anniversary or birthday present - both of which fall in October) I'm sure I won't feel remotely 'unmanly' rocking it on my 7.5/8" wrist!
 

The lume dial one has also been kicking around for some time and again I haven't been able to wear it because (to my wife's recent surprise) this will also be either an anniversary or birthday present. Not that she minds of course, because what the hell else is she going to buy me? 

Again this came from the same Japanese seller and again the product is in superb condition. Obviously the lume dial isn't quite as bright as it once was, but then this watch is 30 years old so you can't expect miracles, and in fact I would be quite suspicious if it was super bright.


That said, it's not 'bad', just not something you could use like a flashlight like perhaps the new Night Diver? This one was a bit cheaper at $200 (£145), probably because they are a bit more common than the pink in good condition, and again delivery was swift and trouble free. I do love buying from spirit*age because you know exactly what you are going to get and there's never any bother or disappointment.


And so my classic Formula 1 collection continues to grow and edge towards 'completion'. It's funny how when you want a particular watch there's never any around but you remember seeing them fairly often when you weren't particularly interested. That now seems to be the way of it with the navy and cream Formula 1 which is one of the resin cased ones that I need. Well, I say 'need'... want is more accurate of course.

I go through phases with these 'classic' F1s. Sometimes I wear them constantly and then sometimes I leave them alone and think of them as something to 'collect' rather than wear. They are small, obviously, but the more you wear them the more you get used to wearing them and it really doesn't seem like such a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment