Wednesday 17 November 2021

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 02 Elegant Chronograph

 
CBN2012.FC6483

Goldsmiths / Milton Keynes, 13th September 2021

Whilst I have come across the 'Elegant' Carrera in store before, it's never been one that I've been massively moved to try on. It simply isn't a model I gravitate towards and is certainly not something that I would ever buy or wear. But despite that, I was still intrigued enough to give it a go, after all as I keep saying - until you get a watch on your wrist you're only getting half the picture.

And once again this 42mm anthracite dial Carrera proved the point, as it was much nicer on than I had anticipated even by looking at it in the cabinet. For sure it's still not something I would ever buy, but I can still appreciate a nice dial, and this one is absolutely stunning.


The Carrera Elegant feels quite compact for a 42mm watch, which should go some way to addressing the concerns of the more conservative buyer (such as those found on Calibre 11) but of course you won't know that unless you actually try one one. That said the Carrera Elegant fared very well in the end of year C.O.C.O. Council polls with the anthracite model even picking up two votes for 'Watch of the Year' and finishing third overall behind the eventual winner (the Silver Carrera 160th) and the Bamford Aquaracer. 


In the past I would usually have said that a grey dial watch would be preferable on a black strap, but in recent years we've seen this trend of fitting grey dials with brown straps and I must admit I've grown to quite like it. I believe the 'Boutique Edition' Aquaracer with the black gold detailing was the first (or perhaps one of the solid dial 43mm Heuer 01 Carreras) and this one continues this combination to good effect. I think with a black strap this would appear a little dowdy, the brown gives it a lift without introducing an 'inelegant' colour pop into the equation. 

Really, for a smart 'do it all' kinda watch this pretty much fits the bill, although it's not one I would chose as my only watch. I do think the pictures mislead a little, I found the dial to be quite a lot darker than this but with a much more pronounced sunray effect. So then, while it's clearly not for me, I'm sure there's plenty out there that would fall in love with this one immediately!


LINK TO THE CBN2012.FC6483 ON THE TAG HEUER WEBSITE

No comments:

Post a Comment